Need Critique on Call Me by Shinedown

Onacor

• Members

The music covers all of the subtleties of your voice. Your voice needs to be at the forefront of the mix. The piano track is far too dominant. From what I can hear, you have a good voice, your pitch is good, and you could use some more breath support.

Bob

• Members

Agreed that you should mix your voice louder. I can still hear you fairly well, especially at the louder parts, but would agree that the piano track is too loud. That said, this sounds pretty good to me, you have a good voice. I also like the dynamics between your softer and louder vocals so you're not just yelling the whole time as tends to happen with some singers. You look a little strained on the high and loud parts, even though you sound good, you might be straining. I'm not sure as I'm just a beginner myself. But yeah, I liked it.

• Members

Thanks Guys for your comments. As for the mix.. I agree with you, but I don't worry about those things when I'm submitting for a vocal review ;-)

If you can hear me, then it's perfect .. afterall, these are just ruff samples and not finished products... geeze.. ;-)

hahaha... just having fun with ya's..

• Members

Hi Onacor. I totally understand you're putting up works in progress. But you did well too my friend. Good singing.

A little thing I think that may help you take this to the next level is this:

Try taking this song (or any song) and literally do mezza di voce on every single word in the song. What I mean is, On each word, start in the lightest sound you can make and then swell it to the heaviest sound you can make then back to the lightest sound. Now go to the next word and do it again. Do this for the entire song. You will be sweating afterwards.

So for example on the phrase "I would change my ways" you swell from light to heavy on EACH of those words on a single breath. Once you finish a phrase you take a new breath.

What's the point of this?

It will give you a whole new level of dynamic control to where you will feel you can fade in and out more throughout phrases when you sing. It will give you a whole new level of stylistic colour.

I do this heaps of students over Skype and have shown them how to add so much life into their songs!

I hope this helps!

Archived