Got My First Gig Lined Up...Any Advice?

BlackieJane

• Members

Hey guys,

So i've been working relatively hard the last few months since i started taking singing more serious. I was practiving about 3 days a week doing breath support exercises and scales (mostly the major scales bc thats all i was really familiar with) and i'm pretty happy with my progress. I've started practicing everyday and i've moved on to the minor and blues scales mostly because i'm already very familiar with the major scale (thank you elementary school choir and Sister Act 2) and the minor and blues scale are used more in the music i'm trying to do and gives me more options for vocal improvisation. So i've been warming up with the scales and then moving on to practicing songs with my keys player for 1-2 hours. I've been using the mic and monitor the last 2 sessions to start to familiarize myself with it. I know davie suggested i get a large condensor mic, which i hope to try out and purchase at some point in the future.

I have my first a Gig at the Hardrock Cafe in Toronto on October 24/14 for a Breast Cancer Benefit. Any tips on how to prepare? I know i need to make sure i'm well hydrated starting at least a couple days before the gig. Any other tips?

Thanks for all the helpful tips and encouragement i've rec'd thus far

• Members

@BlackieJane,

Your rehearsals with the live mic and monitor and your keyboard player are very good preparation for performing in a live environment. Be sure to warm up your voice on the day of the gig, and keep working out prior to gig day, so you will be in good shape. Don't work out too hard on the days leading up to your performance and also on the day of the performance. The minor and blues scales will help to get you into the right improvisational mode.

You could actually be doing vocal warmups more like 5 to 6 days per week, if you aren't already doing so.

Just look forward to your gig with positive anticipations, and see yourself succeeding in your mind's eye. Expect good things to happen and take whatever comes with a smile. Know that this is just a first step in a long series of good experiences that will improve as you get more and more used to gigging. This is an exciting time for you and you should enjoy every moment of it!

Good luck!

Bob

• Members

Thank you Bob! Granted it's still a month away, but i don't feel as nervous as i thought i would. I've performed with my band a lot in many different kinds of venues as a percussionist and i've had to do some very minor singing (it was more like chanting though) and dancing with that, so i'm no stranger to embarrassing stage moments, but they were always in a group/band setting. Its totally new to me, singing solo on stage, and i know that i'll be nervous on the day, but i'm more excited than anything. I know it sounds odd, but i just think it's funny. I get a real kick out of imagining myself up on a stage singing and people listening to me. It makes me giggle. And you're absolutely right. One day a few months ago i decided i would do it and i don't really think about failing. I see myself maybe having to manuever around road blocks, but always succeeding. I don't even really concern myself with nay-sayers. I try to focus on what i want to sound like, what impression i want to leave and the people who actually feel what i'm doing :)

Your encouragement, as always, is extremely appreciated!

Archived