New singer looking for feedback and advice!

SinginMojo

• Members

Hello! I'm a 20 year old male with no singing experience what-so-ever. I write songs and play guitar and have always wanted to sing my own songs, but I'm terrible at singing. I can't afford a singing teacher, and there aren't many around my area anyway. I was wondering if anyone could leave me some feedback on this very short Wonderwall piece I tried. http://picosong.com/9uRW/ (PLEASE IGNORE THE METRONOME, I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET RID OF IT OR ADJUST IT IN THE PROGRAM I WAS USING)

Song: Wonderwall

Original Aritst: Oasis

I'd love to hear your feedback, both positive and negative! And advice on how to improve! Music is my passion and I would love to be able to sing my own songs!

• Members

Wow. It's tough to hear you because your voice is recorded at a low level, you are singing very low notes, and the metronome is drowning you out. Time to figure out the recording program you are using.

You need to brighten up your tone, learn about and use breath support, and do vocal exercises to strengthen your voice and build your range.

Other than that, you seem to be on-pitch, but vocally untrained.

There are lots of ways to get vocal training online, or as self-study courses with active feedback from instructors.

If singing is important to you, you will treat your voice as an instrument and you will want a quality instrument. You don't get free guitars by looking for online tips, and you will probably not get that much vocal improvement without investing at least something in the quality of your voice.

The training you get will make a difference. So will the lack of training or scattered and disconnected information.

Find a good program that works for you and get started on establishing the voice you want to have.

All the best to you.

Bob

• Members

Hey Bob! Thanks for the feedback! I have learned about breath support, but I'm confused about one aspect of it. When you breathe out from your diaphragm how do you control the air? I've heard some people say you try to push your belly button to your spine, and others say that you just let the air flow out. Do I apply some pressure or no?

You're right about the training! I would love to be able to take some kind of class, but lack of funds is making it hard.

​Thanks again for the advice!

• Members

@SinginMojo

Singing is about a lot of opposites, and in the case of breath support, you have to be sure you are having good vocal cord closure. With your cords closed, you use less breath, because the closed cords hold the air back. So this pressurizes your breath. You don't want the breath to be TOO pressurized, so you push down on your diaphragm, which is the direction it goes when you inhale. This effectively cuts back on the air being exhaled. When you slowly bring in the belly, this pushes the air out. So there is a bit of a tug-of-war going on, with the balance between how much you push down, and how much the belly comes in, and all of this is balanced against the pressure created by the closure of the cords.

Bob

Archived