Please help with constructive criticism (ruining All of me by John Legend :D)

Vishykc

• Members

Hello everyone. I would like to say my opinion so you guys, please, correct me and add your owns. I think I have improved a lot in one year with teacher at singing and combining it with Singing success. Song is, it seems, too high for, probably I should transpose it one whole tone down. And by doing this, "o-o-o-o l of me" would sound more "humanly" :D At least two times on "all of me" I go completely out of tune. That could be easily corrected. I have improved a lot at pitch hearing, had a lot problems with it. It sounds a bit like a robot, although I sing with emotions :sm-drool: So what should I give my focus on? Pronouncing, head voice register... Probably finding lower songs, right? Most of the songs are baritone today, but high baritone, I would say. "o-o-o" is around G4 :0

Thanks in advance for Your time and ansewers :):):):):)

https://soundcloud.com/vishykc/all_of_me_john_legend

• Members

@Vishykc,

If you brighten your tone, it can help you to be able to discern pitch better. You are correct, the All of me was significantly out of tune a couple of times. You could lower the key of the song, or you could build your voice to sing higher notes with confidence. That's really cool if you have improved a lot in the past year. You still need to keep working at it, and I'm not sure the singing success is getting you there.

I think you need a program that will teach you strength and support, as well as to build your range. Singing Success doesn't even believe in support. Support is everything, along with pitch and tone. Without those elements, you are going to have a really tough time singing the kind of songs you want to do. You need to be doing exercises that will stretch your voice beyond its present limitations. It's like muscle training at the gym. The muscles of an athlete don't just grow without intentional exercise.

I can hear the singer inside of you that wants to easily wail on songs like this. You just don't have the tools you need to be able to do it, yet.

Some teachers string you along so you keep coming back. What is your teacher working you on to bring about improvements?

I wish you all the best in growing your voice!

Bob

• Members

I really appreciate Your comment. It seems we are working on exercises with multiple benefits. Although the teacher is classically trained, at this vocal studio we can work on "modern" singing or classical if wanted to. It is about correct breathing, proper tone, stability... I guess it will take years of practice to be really good. Probably I should be even more patient since I started from really bad point at singing. :)

• Members

@Vishykc,

Many classically-oriented teachers say they will teach contemporary, Pop, Rock, or Country styles, but since they don't really have a background in those styles, they aren't really set-up to give instruction on much more than classical style. I'm not knocking classical singing, but the approach is just different, and you can't necessarily get here from there. The tone you are using tells me that they are not trying to move you to a more modern sound.

You are right, singing really well can take a long time to practice and learn. At least you have a plan. I would suggest you ask them to accelerate your pitch training and focus more on the modern aspects of your voice.

Good luck and good singing to You!

Bob

• Moderators

Yes, I agree, pitch is a bit too high. Your pitch was okay on the verse but the chorus was a tad bit high making you go flat. Your sustained notes tend to waver in pitch too much. Your voice would probably benefit the most if you worked on your breath support and try to bring out the ring in the voice.

You mentioned that you're combining your voice teacher's method with singing success. Personally, I would not do this. IMO, I don't recommend the singing success method. Also mixing too many concepts, especially if they're contradicting can cause you to undo a lot of the progress you gained from working with your voice teacher.

• Members

I am not great with advice for singing but I feel that it is better to start with easier songs and really focus on were you are singing from. I actually proposed to my girlfriend with this song and it took me a very long time to even feel comfortable singing it. I feel it is a very challenging song. But good luck and wish I could be more helpful.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I have finally realised that was true. We just went on scales, same all the time and it actually isn't so good training although the teacher has a really high musical degree. There are a few private "contemporary" singing schools yet to try, but not now. I realised that I enjoy listening to metal which is really hard to sing. BUT, I found out 3 months ago I REALLY enjoy listening to opera and classical singing. I plan to go to music school for classical singing (don't know how they are called in other countries, they have piano, guitar etc. for under 15 in Croatia, Europe), males can get under age of 22 and I am 22, so I can probably go to audition. I find even recitatives so soul fulfilling. This school is 15 hours/week and mathematics college, it will be tough :D But I am really for singing, harmony, polyphony, solfeggio etc. It is 2+4 years primary+secondary musical school. But if I wanna "go back" to contemporary after this, probably I can in a year or two with really good ear and stable voice. Thanks for comment, really helped!!!!! :)

• Members

I realised my teacher is not good as a contemporary teacher. We just went on scales, same all the time and it actually isn't so good training although the teacher has a really high musical degree. There are a few private "contemporary" singing schools yet to try, but not now. I realised that I enjoy listening to metal which is really hard to sing. BUT, I found out 3 months ago I REALLY enjoy listening to opera and classical singing. I plan to go to music school for classical singing (don't know how they are called in other countries, they have piano, guitar etc. for under 15 in Croatia, Europe), males can get under age of 22 and I am 22, so I can probably go to audition. I find even recitatives so soul fulfilling. This school is 15 hours/week and mathematics college, it will be tough biggrin.gif But I am really for singing, harmony, polyphony, solfeggio etc. It is 2+4 years primary+secondary musical school. But if I wanna "go back" to contemporary after this, probably I can in a year or two with really good ear and stable voice. Thank you all for comments, really helped!!!!! :)

• 1 month later...

Archived