Need complete overhaul for vocal signing

clyde17

• Members

A little information about myself, I'm a 20 year old with a baritone (according to an old choir teacher) vocal range.

I love singing. I absolutely love singing. And up until recently, I thought I was decent.

After doing some recordings of cover songs, I've realized that I have SO much to work on.

My pitch is somewhat off, most of the time. My volume isn't anywhere near where it should be. I know that I have to work on breathing and using my diaphragm more. And there's plenty more that I'm sure I don't even know about that I can improve on.

To be honest, I'm a little embarrassed to even post a sample of my singing. But I will if it'll help.

Funny thing is that a couple of friends are starting a band and want me to sing. And I, loving singing, want to jump on this opportunity.

I'd appreciate anything that can point me in the right direction. I know that vocal instructors are an option but I've tried that route and have had very little success. My experiences with them have been really short sessions that don't seem to result in me making ANY progress.

I know it takes time and effort; I'm wanting to put a lot of time and effort into becoming a better singer.

Anything online would be best. Not based off of laziness or anything, but because of the convenience. I basically need to start at the very beginning.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Hi and welcome Clyde,

Don't hesitate to post up a sound sample, there are people with various skill levels posting in the forum all the time. If you post it up, then we will be glad to give you not only honest feedback but constructive feedback as well. But if you are not comfortable with posting a clip here publicly then you can feel free to message me directly and I will give you my honest opinion and feedback on how to improve.

• Members
After doing some recordings of cover songs, I've realized that I have SO much to work on.

My pitch is somewhat off, most of the time. My volume isn't anywhere near where it should be.

Pitch is something you can definitely start work on by yourself.

Volume (intensity, fullness, projection), is something that needs research.

To be honest, I'm a little embarrassed to even post a sample of my singing. But I will if it'll help.

No matter what your standard, learning to accept where you are at, without embarrassment, is an important part of good development.

Being self-critical doesn't go away with progress. So, you are going to have to shake off that embarrassment and learn to take the plunge, otherwise it will remain a hindrance.

I know that vocal instructors are an option but I've tried that route and have had very little success. My experiences with them have been really short sessions that don't seem to result in me making ANY progress.

I have found that progress happens by taking the information away, filtering it, experimenting with it, and practicing over the long term. I think some instructors set the wrong expectations with their promotional videos.

So far, I have found online information to be adequate.

Archived