"Breathing is 50 % of singing"

Masklin

• Members

We've probably all heard a phrase to that effect. I used to find this a bit overblown or sensational - in retrospect I realize my mistake.

These last few days, I'm finally starting to get it. It's not about 'breathing' per se, but rather the careful control of outwards airflow.

I suppose this is a no-brainer or old news for many of you, but for me it's a whole new world. Suddenly, singing does not make my throat sore - amaze!

As is the case, I find, for singing on pitch i.e. you're probably off the pitch unless you can hear that you're on it, I would venture a guess that the situation is similar when it comes to support.

In one sentence: If you're unsure if you're doing the 'breathing'/'support' thingie right, you're probably not, and you would do yourself a great service to fix this before continuing with other aspects of singing.

:]

I hope this helps somebody somewhere. That was the point of this post anyway.

Good luck!

• Moderators

Its great to hear that you made a singing breakthrough. I agree, breath support is absolutely vital to good singing. The difference in having good breath support is like day and night. And if you have a good balance of exercises, technique and vocal concepts, you will naturally find proper breath support over time.

• Members

When you sing, there are two air management systems going on at the same time.

1. Respiration -- exchanging spent air for fresh air (control of air volumes)., to live!

2. Phonation - control of air pressure, to make sound. (It is not the volume or air flow that is important.)

Phonation occurs during a sung phrase, and respiration primarily between phrases.

Controlling air pressure only has a side effect of air leakage. That is why I say that singing is air pressure control, more than air flow control. I find the distinction to be very important psychologically. I focus on the air pressure, and the leakage will sort itself out like pounds, when you look after the pennies.

One omission I have noticed from much of the literature is the importance of breathing OUT between phrases, for correct respiration. As most runners are aware, if you don't empty your lungs, you will recycle spent air, and you end up taking more frequent breaths -- which could interfere with your singing..If there is time between phrases, breath out, naturally, before your breath in (it's quite subtle).

To complicate things further, some of the muscles you use in breathing act as anchors and suspension to accommodate resonance, so they have to be relaxed and poised correctly.

The fun and hard work starts when you know what you have to juggle and how you intend to do it.

Archived