Secondhand Serenade cover. Advice to improve?

Kilovolt

• Members

Hello, I am doing a cover of Awake by Secondhand serenade. First of all, I'm not a tenor, so I had to change the key to fit my voice. I'm not sure if this song sounds good with my voice or not. I feel like it's one of those cases where the song only really sounds good with the same voice type as the original. I think when I sing it, it sounds boring. Maybe it's my tone. However I really like this song and want to learn to sing it well. What things are my doing right, and what things need to be improved? Here's the link: http://youtu.be/1ZG0jlW6Ars

• Members

If you have any creative ability at all and can play an instrument you should write your own music in the key you sing best. Then maybe you'll stop worrying about sounding like anyone else. Unless you're in a tribute band it is an exercise in futility.

• Members

First, try not to classify your self as tenor or otherwise. Those classifications make a difference in the classical world and somewhat in the choral world, but they don't really make a difference in other genres. Once you move past the idea of those classifications, you can begin to think of extending your range. Most people can sing higher than they think. It's just a matter of learning the coordination to make it happen. To me, your voice has "tenor-ish" qualities, so I would venture to say that you can (eventually) sing it in the original key. That may not be your goal right now. That's fine. Just know that if it's important to you, or if you find value in singing it in the original key, I think you'll be able to.

​I don't think it sounds boring. It looks like you enjoy the song and that makes it interesting.

Regarding your tone, I think you have a good start. Overall there is some restriction in the throat mechanism that's preventing you from really singing out. There are a few moments when you start to find the right coordination. Right around 0:19-0:22 is a good example. There is more freedom in the sound at that moment that is not present throughout most of the song. Try to isolate the sensations that you have at that moment. How does it feel in the throat, the back of the mouth, tongue, soft palate, etc. Go for those same sensations throughout.

I'm not familiar with the song, but it sounds like there are a few pitch issues. That's going to be improved by first committing to really, really truly listening to whether or not you're on pitch all the time. And then secondly by applying that same listening skill with each rehearsal. It's a muscle coordination and muscle memory thing.

Good work and keep at it!

http://www.theaspiringsinger.com

• Members
If you have any creative ability at all and can play an instrument you should write your own music in the key you sing best. Then maybe you'll stop worrying about sounding like anyone else. Unless you're in a tribute band it is an exercise in futility.
I never said I was trying to sound like the person that sings the song. I'm looking for advice on my voice, not for someone to tell me to write my own songs. Anyways, I do write my own music, however I enjoy doing covers.

• Members
First' date=' try not to classify your self as tenor or otherwise. Those classifications make a difference in the classical world and somewhat in the choral world, but they don't really make a difference in other genres. Once you move past the idea of those classifications, you can begin to think of extending your range. Most people can sing higher than they think. It's just a matter of learning the coordination to make it happen. To me, your voice has "tenor-ish" qualities, so I would venture to say that you can (eventually) sing it in the original key. That may not be your goal right now. That's fine. Just know that if it's important to you, or if you find value in singing it in the original key, I think you'll be able to. ​I don't think it sounds boring. It looks like you enjoy the song and that makes it interesting. Regarding your tone, I think you have a good start. Overall there is some restriction in the throat mechanism that's preventing you from really singing out. There are a few moments when you start to find the right coordination. Right around 0:19-0:22 is a good example. There is more freedom in the sound at that moment that is not present throughout most of the song. Try to isolate the sensations that you have at that moment. How does it feel in the throat, the back of the mouth, tongue, soft palate, etc. Go for those same sensations throughout. I'm not familiar with the song, but it sounds like there are a few pitch issues. That's going to be improved by first committing to really, really truly listening to whether or not you're on pitch all the time. And then secondly by applying that same listening skill with each rehearsal. It's a muscle coordination and muscle memory thing. Good work and keep at it! http://www.theaspiringsinger.com[/quote'] First of all, thank you for the comprehensive reply. I usually don't get caught up much in vocal classifications. I understand that I can expand my range, but I haven't been able to do that much. I do want to eventually sing it in the original key, but that is tough. The notes get pretty high (A4 - B4 area), I can only hit those in head voice, or sometimes I can hit them in full voice if I really get loud, but that's probably not healthy and it doesn't sound good. I'm guessing the key to those notes is learning how to mix. Anyways, what exercises can I do to help get the right coordination and placement? If I can get the coordination better, I'm hoping it will help make the high notes easier.

• Members

Ok so keep working on your covers if you like. Reducing the key will work but may lack the punch of the original. As far as your singing goes your pitch needs improvement. Sounds like a breathing and control issue. Try headphones to monitor your singing so you can hear what you're singing too.

• Members
I can only hit those in head voice' date=' or sometimes I can hit them in full voice if I really get loud, but that's probably not healthy and it doesn't sound good. I'm guessing the key to those notes is learning how to mix. Anyways, what exercises can I do to help get the right coordination and placement? If I can get the coordination better, I'm hoping it will help make the high notes easier.[/quote']

Another point of clarification, when you say "head voice" are you referring to falsetto? They're not the same thing. Head voice is actually modal like your chest voice and the difference lies in the way your vocal cords create the pitch. I'm not going to get too vocal science geeky here, but just know that if you go into that hooty, lighter, airy tone, you're singing in falsetto. I'm guessing that when you say that you can hit them "in full voice," and that "it doesn't sound good," that you may be pulling your chest voice too high. A4 and B4 will probably be in your head voice.

You're on the right track when you talk about learning how to mix, but I think you might have a different idea about mixing. What you need to try to do is strengthen the bridge from your chest voice into your head voice. It sounds like the song that you're singing, in the key that you're currently singing (lower than the original) spends most of its time where you should be bridging. That's just an initial impression that I have, and it may not be completely accurate. You'll have to take some voice lessons to really know for sure. (Not spamming you here. I don't teach voice lessons. However, on my website, I will soon be posting videos of warm-ups specifically geared for men and learning how to bridge.)

There are two elements to bridging that I've heard of so far.

The first is modifying vowels. You'll want them to be taller and more narrow in the back of your mouth. Sustain the "ee" vowel. Notice how it's flat and wide in the back of the tongue. As you sustain the "ee" vowel, modify it so that it's more like an "ih" vowel. Notice how the space between the back of your tongue and the top of your mouth changes. This creates a taller more narrow space. It's kind of like putting your thumb over the end a hose. It creates more pressure over the opening and the water shoots out further and with more power. As you are singing higher notes, aim for a taller and more narrow space.

The second is a vocal exercise that gets your placement very high and nasal. The arpeggio is 1-3-5-5-5-3-1 on "nay nay nay nay nay nay nay." You want the sound to be very nasty and bright sounding. Start around E3 and move the exercise up by half steps. The whole way, keep it bright, nasal, and nasty sounding. This shouldmake D4-F4 much more comfortable than before. And then you can continue to build your bridging range upwards.

Caveat. All of this is completely dependent on you having the least amount of tension in your throat. Watch yourself in the mirror and make sure that your chin stays level and doesn't stick out or up. Make sure that your neck stays free and relaxed and that it doesn't crane forward or up.

Give those a try and let me know how it works for you.

http://www.theaspiringsinger.com

• Members

Looks like other people have given you great advice already, so I'll just add that it doesn't sound boring to me, but then I don't know the original song. I have a problem where seemingly every song is in the wrong key, so I usually have to change the key a bit, and if I have to shift the key down then it sounds boring to me compared to the original song. But, not knowing the original, your cover does not sound boring. I am just a beginner myself, but it sounds to me like you might be straining/yelling a bit at the higher parts, too.

Archived