My 2nd Recodrding...Summertime Cover...I would appreciate YOUR feedback

BlackieJane

• Members

So this is my 2nd recording. After doing 'The Nearness of You', I had a friend who's had quite a bit of training come over and teach me some exercises. I didn't really know about diaphragmic stuff until a few weeks ago, so I've been working on that to strengthen my support. In critiquing myself, I think that because I've become so conscious about breathing, I'm doing it too much when I don't need to. So I keep inhaling when I'm not doing parts that need the extra support, making the less intense parts too airy and uncontrolled. How do I find that balance? Will it just work itself out once I have more practice and the diaphragmic breathing becomes more of a reflex and less of a conscious effort?

Anyway, have a listen and your feedback is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

• Moderators

Beautiful! I have that same microphone as well, the SM7B. Sounds good, but I think a large condenser mic might be a better choice for jazz vocals like yours. Anyway I think your diaphragmatic breathing issue is caused by trying to make your vocals sound as soft and gentle as possible. By stopping your voice from getting too big as a form of expression, at the same time in order to maintain this dynamic you're singing under loose breath. The same thing happens to me when I try to do extra soft vocal parts. Sometimes we like to associate loud singing with a lot of support and soft singing with little support. But singing softly actually takes a lot more control than trying to sing loudly. You just need to find the natural slenderness within the voice (thin edge function) to find those soft tones with less effort.

• Members
I agree, it sounds beautiful, you have a great voice! I like the piano/keys work too.

Thanks! I'm fortunate to have met this awesome piano/keyboard player. He does a lot of blues/jazz/swing/ragtime and he's a pretty amazing singer too. He's a big Louis Armstrong, Earl Hines and Ray Charles Fan. He's awesome...it makes for a challenge in singing with him because he's all about improvisation, so everytime he plays, he plays it different which makes me have to think on my feet. I love the challenge of not singing it the same each time.

We're working on adding an upright bass and trombone for now.

But if you have any interest in hearing more from my beloved piano player you can check out his youtube chanel under Seanstanley1986

• Members
Beautiful! I have that same microphone as well, the SM7B. Sounds good, but I think a large condenser mic might be a better choice for jazz vocals like yours. Anyway I think your diaphragmatic breathing issue is caused by trying to make your vocals sound as soft and gentle as possible. By stopping your voice from getting too big as a form of expression, at the same time in order to maintain this dynamic you're singing under loose breath. The same thing happens to me when I try to do extra soft vocal parts. Sometimes we like to associate loud singing with a lot of support and soft singing with little support. But singing softly actually takes a lot more control than trying to sing loudly. You just need to find the natural slenderness within the voice (thin edge function) to find those soft tones with less effort.
Thank you davie! The mic belongs to the piano player...he's louder and umm...more aggressive than I am, so maybe that's why it works better for him? Anyway, I don't really know much about mics to begin with, but I do need to get my own mic soon, so thanks for the suggestion!...I'm learning as I go along :) I noticed you live in Toronto. I'm getting up the nerve to break out on the scene here. Maybe one day you can come see me live ;)

• Moderators
Thank you davie! The mic belongs to the piano player...he's louder and umm...more aggressive than I am' date=' so maybe that's why it works better for him? Anyway, I don't really know much about mics to begin with, but I do need to get my own mic soon, so thanks for the suggestion!...I'm learning as I go along :) I noticed you live in Toronto. I'm getting up the nerve to break out on the scene here. Maybe one day you can come see me live ;)[/quote']

Yeah, that mic is usually used for more loud and aggressive sounding vocals. And If you're also in and around the Toronto area then I look forward to seeing you sometime. If you want to get in touch then just feel free to send me a message, email, tweet, etc.

Archived