Could I have some opinions please? Singer-songwriter writing pop/folk songs based on fandoms!

TesterExp345

• Members

Hey!

I'm a singer-songwriter, but writing songs based entirely on fandoms and TV shows/movies/geeky/etc. :D

I'd like to hear your opinions on my vocals and other things you can point out.

Also, I'm not hugely experienced on the mixing/audio production field, so please bear that in mind. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b9Chq7e0r0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP5VeheO8r4

Thank you!

• Members

Yes. The ukulele is a bit thin for backing on the first tune. The ukulele also sounds a little bit out of tune at times, maybe because you're bending the nylon strings a little? Anyway, there are more backing tracks on the Dr. Who song and that makes the sound fuller, and lets your voice sit in the mix comfortably. People like to listen to something that sounds good, and the Dr. Who song sounds like you took your time and made it into a more artful piece than you did the first tune.

• Members
Yes. The ukulele is a bit thin for backing on the first tune. The ukulele also sounds a little bit out of tune at times, maybe because you're bending the nylon strings a little? Anyway, there are more backing tracks on the Dr. Who song and that makes the sound fuller, and lets your voice sit in the mix comfortably. People like to listen to something that sounds good, and the Dr. Who song sounds like you took your time and made it into a more artful piece than you did the first tune.
The first video, I didn't have the resources or software available to create a "full" song. The second, I had some new hardware and software, so I was able to do that. Could I have some feedback on my vocals, please?

• Moderators

There's nothing with your singing. It sounds fine. The main criticism is the songwriting. Phrase pacing and syllable stress are a bit awkward at times. My guess is that you made up the melody first separately, and then added in the lyrics afterwards. If it weren't for the displayed lyrics, then the song would be difficult to follow. I would try not to rely on lyric captions to convey the song's message. It also doesn't hurt to do a few re-writes of a song to get a song to be its best.

• Members
There's nothing with your singing. It sounds fine. The main criticism is the songwriting. Phrase pacing and syllable stress are a bit awkward at times. My guess is that you made up the melody first separately, and then added in the lyrics afterwards. If it weren't for the displayed lyrics, then the song would be difficult to follow. I would try not to rely on lyric captions to convey the song's message. It also doesn't hurt to do a few re-writes of a song to get a song to be its best.

Thank you!

The melody did come first and then the words which probably compromised it.

I made these songs short and sweet because of the short attention span I received from the previous attempts, so I had to drastically cut it down to 1 minute-ish.

These limitations actually tested me and now people want longer ones. :D

Thanks for the advice, I definitely would take these into account.

Archived