Opinions Please! :) (do i have any potential?)(never sang for anyone)

tayloraus

• Members

Hey guys, I'm working on a cover at the moment, I'm new to singing as i've always had breathing issues due to a sporting injury, so no one has ever heard me sing. I would really appreciate some honest opinions about my singing voice and what I should work on.

Here's a little clip of me singing Happy Little Pill by Troye Sivan, I plan to cover it with guitar but for now here's a little clip of me singing acapella, sorry for the poor quality i was driving, i'll post the completed song asap.

https://vid.me/0id

Cheers! :)

• Members

@tayloraus,

Yes, you have potential. Your tone is breathy, and that is not the healthiest way to sing. Singing with cord closure is a better way to produce your tone. You should find a vocal program that you can use to generally improve your vocal technique in all aspects of the voice. Proper breathing for vocals, etc. Start working on your voice today. But have a plan and a direction. Just random singing will bring about random results.

All the Best!

Bob

• Members

If you are into sport, a lot of the discipline and psychology is transferable to singing.

A very long term goal for a beginner, like trying to nail a cover, is a good idea. It should throw up a lot of questions.

Enjoy imitating the bells and whistles for motivation, but more important is "nailing the nuts and bolts".

The nuts and bolts of singing range from breath control to vocal tract shape, and from larynx control to relaxation and resonance. All have to be juggled confidently and reliably at one go. This has to be the immediate goal.

If you wanted to assess the potential of a golfer, you'd examine his swing, not the flight of the ball on a particular hole.

Truth is that everybody has potential. You just have to believe it.

• Members

Hey thanks a lot for the replies guys! Bob thanks a lot, yeah i do agree it is quite breathy, I have been told I have a very croaky/husky talking voice though so im not sure if its just like that. I do definitely struggle with my breathing though I had very blocked sinuses. You make a very good point about random singing yielding random results, i guess its time for me to invest some proper training. I have wanted to get lessons I just cant afford it yet. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Thanks for the reply @kickingtone, yeah you make a good point, I have looked into larynx control and some other things, I just struggle to put it into practice, I think I would really benefit from getting lessons from someone.

I'll be sure to start training my voice properly, does anyone have any programs they recommend?

• Members

Hey! My 2 cents... You have a really nice voice and definite potential. You also have some practicing to do (so do I!). Pretty much what bob said. But I do really like the textures of your voice. I don't know what kind of music you like, but I think it would be awesome to hear you do 'Sitting On the Dock of the Bay' by Otis Redding. I dunno...it was just a thought that popped into my head. Thanks for posting!

Archived