should i give up singing?

VoiceOfDoom

• Members

hello everyone. so i i mostly write and record songs but i have only relatively recently started singing and even more recently started practicing singing. i dont like my voice and i have been told a fair few times that my voice isnt great.

here is some examples

and me singing a bit lower, i think my low voice is better but it limits what i can do musically a bit which i dont want.

oddly enough i was using better equipment and singing more out loud at this point and i think it sounds actually worse like here

not very good i know, but these were actually three of my better songs vocal wise, some of the others are just god awful, iv noticed that sometimes when i think my vocals are ok on headphones when played out loud it sounds unbelievably crap. anyway

all of those were recorded before i started actually practicing singing. the practice i do now is a lot of humming, breathing through diaphragm, occasional la la la ing of different scales, staying well hydrated. all these i do while doing household chores or going to and from work. after a month or two of this listening to my voice back on recording i still dont like it and i cant hear much improvement if any at all,

are any real benifits likely to occur if i keep on practicing like this? i realise im never going to have a voice anywhere near my singing idol lee mavers but id like to have a serviceable voice at least. is it worth carrying on?

by the way the plan is to eventually have a session singer on my recordings and to probably rerecord them in a studio with a proper producer, it would still be nice and useful to have a half decent voice of my own though.

anyway thanks in advance for any replies, feel free to criticize im pretty thick skinned about it by now.

• Members

It sounds to me like your voice isn't being supported by breath at all, so it sounds thin/weak. If you are already practicing breathing now just work on using that breath to push out the notes and you will get a much cleaner sound.

Keep in mind I am a beginner myself and all of that is just things I've read about and think I have a grasp on. I could be completely wrong.

Your voice itself is not bad, but your pitch wavers and I think that's because of the breathing.

• Members

A couple of months of correct practice should definitely have made a difference.

The practice you have described seems a bit hit and hope.

I think you need to be more specific about what you don't like, or wish to improve, about your singing, and you need to target those particular aspects.

Rather than only looking for general improvement, it is better to be able to relate specific exercises to specific improvements. Then you will really begin to understand and control your voice better and better.

Otherwise, you are left with what I call, "improvement by magic", which is slow, and susceptible to "regression by magic".

• Members

@VoiceOfDoom

Improvement by magic is not likely to produce meaningful results. I suggest you shop around and find a vocal method with a proven track record and start studying a course of action. Random practicing without measured results will not take you anywhere in particular. You need to build a background in all of the basics of singing. Strong sense of pitch, good tone, breath support, stamina, and confidence in what you are doing.

Even singing scales every day will not take you anywhere in particular unless there is a method to the madness. Vocal courses normally will set you on a direction and take you to a destination. Find one that heads in the direction you want to go, and get started moving in that direction.

Good Singing to You!

Bob

• Moderators

Sounds like you're holding back too much. Don't be afraid to put in more energy and more volume. If you're serious about improving then you'll need to put in some more effort, commitment and maybe get some vocal training. All singers at some point had to work these things out. A good voice teacher can help you find the exercises that work best for you and lead you in the right direction.

Archived