Looking for critique of my voice

polarity30

• Members

I've been singing about a year. I don't really care for the sound of my own voice but I love to sing. Other people tell me it's good but I don't know if they are being overly nice. Internet forum is a great place to get real, honest, anonymous feedback.

I'll take any comments on how my voice is (good/bad/ok/whatever) and any tips you might have for me to improve.

• Moderators

Hey there,

I think your vocals are pretty good, especially if you've only been singing for a year. Your voice seems to be well suited for this song. Pitch is good and diction is clear. I also don't hear any strain in your singing, which is good as well. My only suggestion would be to work more on projection/resonance, your high notes are definitely there, but a bit more momentum overall could improve your performance.

How do you practice/learn singing? Have you taken lessons before?

• Members

Thanks for the comment.

I took singing lessons for about 3 months, but I gave them up because I was too scared to sing in front of her. In 3 months of lessons I think I sang twice. She gave me a recording of a scale on a piano and said to practice matching notes and trying to expand my range. After the 2 times I sang her thought was that I should be singing higher stuff (like adam levine/maroon 5 songs) but I thought I should be lower.

My "practice" right now is just singing about 4 hours a day at home. I practice with that scale every now and then but not often anymore. I also went to the singtherightnote.com a few times and figured out my pitch matching was pretty decent. I am great at hearing things, differences in songs/notes that are very subtle but learning how to do them is proving tricky.

• Members

Just a mental thing I guess. I sang when I was a kid (like 12) and got accepting into a chorus that you had to audition for. I was the only male to make it that year and they told me I'd be singing the male solo's obviously as there were no others. At the time I was ok with that. Start doing practice and after a week or so my first solo comes up, I panic and freeze.. Dropped out and stopped singing until a year ago (I'm 31 now).

My wife of 7 years (girlfriend of 15) didn't even know I sang. I guess that kind of carried over and I was terrified to sing in front of my instructor. I've never really known if I could sing, so fear of being horrible and people just being nice. Uploading things to the internet without anyone knowing who I am has helped a little because people here have no reason to be nice so I think I can get honest feedback. If I can convince myself that it's not horrible maybe I can convince myself to get up and do an open mic or something.

• Members

I can relate so much to that. Even the ages you mentioned. I stopped singing in 8th grade after getting a solo to sing at graduation. I didn't even go to graduation because i was about ready to die from anxiety. I kept singing in private, but only started thinking about it again now that i'm 31. Luckily though, a few years ago i took up percussion and was in a band. We've played all kinds of gigs and i had to quickly get over myself, but playing with 3-5 other people on stage with you makes it a lot easier to ease into it.

I used to suffer a lot from anxiety, but i found that thrusting myself into those situations without giving myself enough time to think has helped me a lot. It's terrifying, but if you afford yourself that extra push to just go do it, you'll feel so proud and it'll get easier each time.

Good luck!

• Members

By the way, I listened to your recording...my opinion does have any expertise behind it, and it's not really a genre I'm super familiar with, but I thought you sounded good. I agree about working on projecting, but I really think that confidence can fix so many issues that singers face. But overall I thought it was good, and definitely not something you should hide away!

• Members

@polarity30,

I like the sound of your voice. You have good vocal support for someone who has not had that much vocal instruction. I also listened to your Pumped Up Kicks tune. Good job. You seem very relaxed for the anxiety you speak of. You have nothing to be anxious for. Your voice has a quality to it that is inviting and pleasant. Your pitch is good. Your tone is unique, but good.

Two Thumbs Up!!!

Bob

• Members

Thanks very much to you both. It's easier to sing in my room alone now (it wasn't for a while). I've gotten more and more comfortable with it, but even alone I don't really "go for it" at some points in the songs. I've been hanging around with a bunch of really talented musicians lately. It's great because they are a very encouraging bunch, but it's horrible because you see all their talents and just wish you were that good.

Speaking with them though it seems like we all want what we don't have. The best singer of the bunch told me he loved my voice and I had no idea why he could say that. His has grit and strength, but my voice has something he wants. My goal now is to get up for an open mic or something. My fear has been that I was really bad and no one would tell me. I'm not so much afraid that I'll bomb it on stage (although that will happen at some point I'm sure). I'm fine with being good and having a bad night, but being bad and getting up there to embarrass myself seems like the worst thing possible. There is always that one guy on American Idol who can't really sing and no one told him. It makes me cringe every time thinking that would be me.

The internet is a helpful place though, you can put things out there and get some honest people to tell you what you need to hear. Good or bad.

• Members

You're not one of those singers that should have been told they're bad. You should be nicer to yourself and have a little more self-confidence. You don't have to be egotistical, but you can allow yourself to enjoy your musical experience more. I get the feeling you think you're not worthy.

That isn't true. You deserve to enjoy your musical pursuits, and to share your music with others. Get out there and share. Be a part of the music that is happening where you live. Enjoy every moment of it, if you can. Even the bad nights are part of getting better. So get out there and get started, and keep going. You deserve it.

Bob

• Members

Thanks for that HighMtn. That's pretty much been my concern and also why I have been trying out putting things online. At least here you can embarrass yourself anonymously =)

I am going to keep at it, I am hoping to do an open mic sometime soon and we will see how that goes.

• Members

I agree w/ the others, I just listened to your recording and it's very good. I enjoyed it. You're definitely a good singer, I absolutely would not say you're anything close to bad.

I have a similar fear that I actually suck really bad, am not even decent/passable, and no one has been kind enough to tell me! That's why I'm here! haha

Archived