Honest feedback

Newsinger11

• Members

There is a lot of background noise in My Stupid Mouth, due to the distance from the webcam mic, and your guitar is also louder than your voice. That makes it a little hard to critique your voice. Was It a Dream is a better recording.

As to your voice, My Stupid Mouth is difficult to hear you. In Was It a Dream, we can hear your voice.

You're using a bit too much breath for vocal longevity. Breathy singing is a style that you may like, but you need to be cautious when using breathy tones. That will dry your vocal cords out and limit your vocal stamina.

Your pitch is good and your range is good. Your voice is adequate for the style you are using.

Find a good program online with vocal exercises and work your voice to strengthen it and build your range further.

Bob

• Members

Thanks Bob!

I have had the Singing Success programme, but silly me, I never really used it seriously and have mainly improved through trial and error. I have now started using its exercises daily and have already noticed improvement in my head voice and co-ordination.

Does anybody else have any suggestions?

• Members

Any training program is better than none. I used Singing Success for a couple of years and it helped me. After a while I needed to continue to improve beyond where that program left off.

You can check the link in my signature and look around there. I have found much progress beyond SS.

All the best!

Bob

• Members

Yeah, I've heard good things about Ken Tamplin's Vocal Academy programme, I'll definitely look in to it for further improvement after I complete SS! As I've already spent money on it, i may as well get the most out of what i already have

Thanks for your advice!

• Moderators

I agree with Bob, the 'Was it a Dream' cover was better than the "My Stupid Mouth" cover. I would try to avoid singing with those breathy tones. Overall singing sounded a bit constricted too. The issue with using a SLS-based technique is that you might run into issues with breath support, and constriction in the throat. This may hinder your ability to project properly as well. Try focusing your microphone/recorder to capture more of your vocal sound, the guitar drowned out your voice a bit. Record yourself and objectively give it a proper listen.

Archived