Can I Sing??

GraySpec

• Members

@GraySpec,

These demos would be better if you would do them over a karaoke track, so we can hear if you are singing the correct notes in key with the song. That is important information.

It sounds like your pitch is wandering a bit. Part of that may be because you don't have a music track to follow.

Bob

• Members

No, @GraySpec, don't beat yourself up. Your singing is NOT ridiculous. You're just untrained. It would help to hear your voice with the music tracks backing, but not so loud that they cover your voice.

You want to sing. You should find a vocal course that fits within your budget and pursue your dreams of being a better singer. There are many home courses that can give you exercises to get a handle on your voice.

There are also vocal coaches like Davie, the moderator here, that can help you via Skype, to learn to improve your voice. Don't give up. Go for it!

Bob

• Members

Singing Success will give you

some of the basics, but for me, it fell short and didn't get me where I wanted to go.

Like you, I didn't find it translating to my song-singing very well. It can be hard to see past the glitz in the advertisements when shopping for vocal methods that will really deliver for you.

Bob

• Moderators

I believe its possible for many people to make good progress. You just need to have the proper guidance, patience and discipline. I personally don't recommend using SS, it might work for some people, but since its a SLS method, its either hit or miss. If your speech habits are not good to begin with, then its difficult to build a good foundation. Judging from your clips, In general, I feel that you need some more openness and support in the voice. You need to allow your voice to project and travel fully to realize its true sound. Just remember that singing a lot different from speaking.

• Members

So which program you guys recommended for me?? and what method they offer? I thought SLS is the best method.. Yeah I know i lack of openness and support but since I used this program about 4 months, it getting better(i think). you can hear that in my soundcloud..

• Members

Have you looked at Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy? They take a different approach than the SLS camp. It's based on Open Throat, Support, and a number of bel canto techniques. I've been doing KTVA for some time now, and find it to be a very effective method. It works well for me.

Bob

• Moderators

The main differences between singing and speaking is that singing requires more use of acoustical space (eg. open throat) and singing also uses more energy in the form of breath support to compress and manage the breath.

• Members

Singing is sustained vowels on specific pitches in artistically pleasing melodies, with minimal consonants and maximum vowel usage. Totally different breath management is used in singing as opposed to speaking. Singing can also be harmonizing with, or augmenting the main melody, by way of maintaining specific tonal intervals from the main melody that relate musically.

Speaking uses only a few tones, and those tones do not have to be on a calibrated pitch. Pitch can be random or simply undulating in speech. In singing, Pitch is critical and must be much more exact than any requirements of speech. Tone used in singing is also characteristically different and more uniform than in speech. Singing should be more sonorous, and pleasing to the listener, whether they be in the style of jazz, Hard Rock, or Opera. There are norms and expectations of the singer, depending on the genre. That said, there is also room for improvisation and innovation.

The melodic content of speech is very simple and limited in range. The melodic content of singing can be from simple to complex, and from limited in range to spanning over multiple octaves.

The dynamics of speaking are normally conversational, but can expand to shouting or screaming. The dynamics of singing can also span a large degree of amplitude, but the air must be managed much more skillfully, in order to maintain both vocal health and the expectations of the audience.

Bob.

• Members

Singing is sustained vowels on specific pitches in artistically pleasing melodies, with minimal consonants and maximum vowel usage. Totally different breath management is used in singing as opposed to speaking. Singing can also be harmonizing with, or augmenting the main melody, by way of maintaining specific tonal intervals from the main melody that relate musically.

Speaking uses only a few tones, and those tones do not have to be on a calibrated pitch. Pitch can be random or simply undulating in speech. In singing, Pitch is critical and must be much more exact than any requirements of speech. Tone used in singing is also characteristically different and more uniform than in speech. Singing should be more sonorous, and pleasing to the listener, whether they be in the style of jazz, Hard Rock, or Opera. There are norms and expectations of the singer, depending on the genre. That said, there is also room for improvisation and innovation.

The melodic content of speech is very simple and limited in range. The melodic content of singing can be from simple to complex, and from limited in range to spanning over multiple octaves.

The dynamics of speaking are normally conversational, but can expand to shouting or screaming. The dynamics of singing can also span a large degree of amplitude, but the air must be managed much more skillfully, in order to maintain both vocal health and the expectations of the audience.

Bob.

• Moderators

The SLS method uses a similar mechanism to speech, that's why its called speech level. It's basically speaking on pitch. I don't recommend doing this because singing properly requires a lot more acoustical space than in speech. If you don't achieve enough space or openness, then you will risk squeezing the throat and straining your voice. This is especially true if you want to sing with any amount of power.

Archived