I would like to see unbiased analysis of this artist : Daniel Johnston

VladM

• Members

I first heard of him when he did a tiny desk concert at NPR and his music has grown on me because unique, unapologetic, and raw. Now, he's middle aged at this point in time so I'd prefer if someone listened to his recordings when he was in his prime. They're mostly cassette recordings so its lo-fi music.

I'll post 3 of my favorite Daniel Johnston recordings:

Loner -

Greivances -

An Idiot's End -

His reviews have ranged from "genius" to "talentless schizo"

I think he's somewhere in between, and very endearing.

• Members

He sounds as if he has a good idea of the energy/spirit of the song. But, the execution in his singing is only 75%, there.

"Raw" shouldn't mean "not fully accomplished". You can be raw, with "100%" execution.

I can see why people who get what he is singing about, like his songs. Although the particular energy does not appeal to me, I definitely recognize talent in the melody and lyrics. They could, however, do with more instrumental breaks, imo.

• Members

I find it totally impossible to be unbiased about Daniel's recordings. It's like fingernails on the chalkboard to my ears. But maybe that's why his fans like his music so much. It's so raw, raw, raw.

I really like this recording, I think it's great:

But his real fans may hate it because it's organized, well-produced, in key, and doesn't grate on your nerves.

To each his/her own.

Bob

Archived