Live recording, trying to project better

VladM

• Members

Every note sung is an estimate, followed by a split second adjustment. The better the estimate and the more responsive the adjustmentment, the less tentative you will be when you sound the note, and the more projection you can achieve.

You can improve responsiveness (speed of homing in on the note) by estimating a tiny fraction high on the note and adjusting downward in time to sound the correct note -- "dropping on the note", or "approaching the note from above".

If you approach from below, or reach up to the note, responsiveness may be less, higher frequency resonances may kick in a fraction late, giving the impression of a slightly flat note, and projection will be reduced.

• Members

Kickingtone actually gave some pretty accurate advice about dropping down on the tones. ido1957 was a bit more direct without offering a lot of help. My own take is that you would do well to train your voice on the whole gamut of a vocal method. You should shop around and choose a program that will give your overall voice a complete overhaul on several fronts: Pitch, tone, projection, breath support, an exercise program to improve your range, etc...

I'm not saying that to be critical, I'm giving that as good advice. Many people come here and sing a song and want to know what they need to do to improve. If you really want to improve, you will work on your entire voice and build it into something that is worth the effort. Just telling you one thing here or there, or just watching free tips on YouTube won't build a foundation for your voice that can be built upon.

For your own sake, you should decide whether or not you are serious about wanting to improve your voice. If the answer is YES, then you should actually do something substantial to make that happen. Dedicate yourself to improving your voice. Find a program that suits your needs and dive in, head first. Before you know it, you'll have people coming to you for vocal advice.

It's the best thing anyone can do for themselves if they are really longing to be a singer.

All the Best!

Bob

Archived