In search of honest opinions

dillonsm

• Members

I'm nineteen and I started singing when I was sixteen. I thought I was totally tone deaf until I sang as my talent in a pageant. I really wasn't too bad. I've been in singing lessons for two years now and I'm more critical of myself than ever. I love to sing, but if I don't have a future in it I need to know. I love my friends and family, but I need unbiased opinions. I sing almost all country. Please just tell me if I have the potential. If I do I'm willing to put more time in and give it all I've got. Thank you so much in advanced. I know this link won't be awesome because you can barely hear the music and it's from my iPhone while in my room, but it's all I have!

• Members

It sound like you're slipping in and out of key at different points in the song. I would need a better recording to be sure.

What does your vocal teacher think? Have you entered/won any singing competitions? Have you sung in public yet?

• Members

Sounds like you could make a go of it if you put in the work. Learn to sing - in tune, in rhythm, in style.and very important live with good musicians. Take up guitar too, learn to accompany yourself. This could take years but there's no substitute.

• Members

It's a pretty rough recording, but you do have potential. Is your vocal coach teaching you in country style or are these more classical lessons you're taking? Just curious, because some vocal instruction is irrelevant to pop, rock, or country.

• Members

@dillonsm,

You might find it more inspiring to study with a teacher that can actually sing in the genre that you aspire to sing in. There is value in learning the basics of singing in classical style, because these are valid methods. On the other hand, in pop or country, you rarely use the same vocal tones and approach singing from an entirely different perspective.

Often, more traditional vocal instructors try to steer students away from the singing styles the students want to emulate.

You may want to do some internet research and check out some of the Nashville-based vocal instructors. There are several who teach via Skype that might give you a little more boost towards your own personal singing goals.

Bob

• Moderators

Hey there, I had a listen and I think it sounds good. There's definitely potential. Not really that many issues, maybe a bit of the consonants stopping the breath. Also maybe try adding in some more dynamics, like variation between soft and loud to mix it a little and keep the listener engaged.

As long as you have a good relationship with your teacher, and you're making good strides in progress then I think you're fine. As long as she's teaching you a good foundation in technique, classical or otherwise, but its also good if your teacher has a good grasp of styles in other genres too. Its kind of interesting what you mentioned. Both my teacher and I practice a classical method but we both sing mainly pop/rock music. That being said, if the singing method has a good foundation then you can easily sing different genres when you need to.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived