The Nearness of You (Cover) - Just a newbie looking for some feedback

BlackieJane

• Members

Hi there,

I'm very new to all this. I've sang for years just because it makes me happy, but i recently thought i'd try to actually SING a song with deliberate intention rather than just in passing. I've never had any lessons, and i'm not really sure how to start doing this. I listen to a lot of music, but would definitely say that some of my influences are Sarah Vaughan, Nina Simone, Billie Holiday, Ray Charles, Bessie Smith and Norah Jones.

This was done sort of as a dare. I only got one take (my piano man was eager to get out of that suit) and was obviously nervous at the idea of other people hearing me sing, so i already know that with confidence, things will flow better, but i was just hoping for some non-family/friends feedback to help me move forward.

Thanks so much for your time

• Members

Thanks for the feedback! And good question...I guess my short term goal is to simply get better and more comfortable with singing. I used to want to be a singer when i was in elementary school, but teenaged angst and insecurities made me horrified at the thought of people looking at me and critiquing me, so i abandoned the idea. If i'm being honest, i feel like i'm a bit old now to be starting off...i know some of you may scoff at me for saying that, but i feel like starting out at 31...i should just approach this as a hobby because it takes years to get really good and to a professional level.

Archived