How far we can extend our vocal range?

GraySpec

• Members

Hi guys, recently I found that I'm an alto which is can sing F3-D5 comfortably. The question is, if I take vocal lesson, how far I could extend my vocal range? I'm using Brett Manning as my daily vocal lessons. Is it possible that we can reach 6 octave like him?

• Members

The vocal range can be extended quite a bit through safe methods and proper techniques.

I used the Singing Success program, as well as many others. I did extend my range somewhat through SS, and I have learned a little something from most of the methods I have studied.

Unfortunately, for me, the ratio of cost to improvement via Singing Success was not what I wanted. I spent a lot of money, time, and effort and didn't gain that much. Singing Success discourages the development of extended chest voice. Instead they advocate an earlier bridging technique that produces a smaller-sounding voice.

You don't hear very many actual songs being sung by Brett. Mostly just overdubs of him doing bass, baritone, falsetto, and whistle voice. That is something he can't do live. There isn't much on YouTube of Brett Singing live. Ave Maria is OK but there are a lot of Ave Marias on YouTube that I prefer over his. "Illusion" isn't that impressive to me. His Everybody's overdubbing is smoke and mirrors. "I Can't Say" is slick studio overdubbing and production to the max. Do some YouTube searches and try to find something Brett sings live that impresses you. He's OK... I'm not saying he's bad. He's just notthat good of a singer. That doesn't make him a bad vocal coach, either, but I found his SS program took a long time to complete, but just didn't build my voice like I had hoped it would. I really did give it a chance and wanted it to work.

I had to move on.

Bob

• Members

Personally, I believe it's possible with commitment and good coaching, but, is it really important to have that much range?

If you listen to most pop stuff singers (aside from Mariah Carey of course, lol) seem to stick to a fairly narrow range.

On a personal note, I developed my falsetto to get a pretty wide range but I seldom use it in public because either, the song doesn't need it, or, it just sounds peculiar to most people.

Even though I can stay in tune at higher octaves, I seem to get better reviews from fans when I'm in my comfort area. I suppose it makes my voice more natural sounding.

• Members

@Bob: So did you stop using SS program? Do you think I should choose another program?

@supersinger:

Well I think it's not really matter. I just want to be a better singer, and yes I know it's not the only way.

Anyway, I know it's a common question. Do you think a good singer can be created? I mean can "not gifted" singer became a good singer? If possible can you name one?

Actually I'm the one of "not gifted". But I want to be a good singer.. I don't know if it is possible or only just a dream. haha

Thanks. Sorry for bad english

• Members

I'm not sure about any ways to expand your range as I've never really tried to, being quite happy with my position- comfortably sitting in Alto territory. But what I am sure of is that if you work with your voice enough and learn techniques to make yourself sound better, I believe that anyone- even if they're somebody who is "not gifted"- can become a good singer with practice.

• Members

@CowardlyCleric: What define good singer and bad singer for you? I think for most people it's technique. And yes I know it can be trained. As for me a foundation of good singer is his/her individual uniqueness voice.. Do you think everybody "uniqueness voice" can be trained to be pleasant?

• Moderators
@CowardlyCleric: What define good singer and bad singer for you? I think for most people it's technique. And yes I know it can be trained. As for me a foundation of good singer is his/her individual uniqueness voice.. Do you think everybody "uniqueness voice" can be trained to be pleasant?

I believe that many people can become good singers. Musicality and technique can be practiced and improved. I consider uniqueness an important aspect as well. For me I think uniqueness should develop as part of an extension of your own personality as well as the combination of all of your influences, not only musical/vocal influences, but influences throughout life in general. Also I think some voices can be more "pleasant" sounding than others, but the more important thing is that you maximize your potential as a singer and artist.

• Members

I believe that many people can become good singers. Musicality and technique can be practiced and improved. I consider uniqueness an important aspect as well. For me I think uniqueness should develop as part of an extension of your own personality as well as the combination of all of your influences, not only musical/vocal influences, but influences throughout life in general. Also I think some voices can be more "pleasant" sounding than others, but the more important thing is that you maximize your potential as a singer and artist.

well how long it takes to reach "pleasant" level? is it a couple of year???

• Members

Range is one of the least important aspects to good singing, and is often used as a crutch by those who lack in the more important areas. I view singing range as I do speed as it relates to guitar playing. If you don't have good tone, musicality and technique, all that speed is going to do is add up to a bunch of noise.

The most important aspects of singing, in my opinion, are these:

1. Pitch. While hitting a note not-in-pitch can be used occasionally to good effect, if you're not controlling it and not hitting your pitches most of the time, any other skills or abilities will be for naught. You need to sing in tune.

2. Tone. While having a great natural tone is something all the great singers already possess, much can be done to affect a better singing tone if you don't have one naturally. Learn to find that sweet spot in your voice if you don't already have one.

3. Timing. Phrasing is everything when executing a good vocal performance. It is what sells the melody and the lyrics to the audience.

Master these things and you can be a great singer even if you only possess a very small range. And if you don't naturally have a big range, master this things first before you worry about trying to reach higher notes. Nobody is going to care how loudly you can belt out a High C at the end of a chorus if everything else during the rest of the song is sub-standard.

• Moderators

Singing isn't exactly "all or nothing". Try not to put too much emphasis on the end result, because there is no final result. Learning to sing isn't about finding perfection. Perfectionism can actually hinder your progress. Its an ongoing and continuous process that doesn't stop.

• Members

@GraySpec

Your picture you posted of "The Bird" is sad. That is true if you are studying a program that won't really help you, but it is not true if you apply yourself to learning the basic principles of vocal study.

Don't give up on your dream of singing well!

Bob

Archived