Singing for bodybuilder

GraySpec

• Members

As a bodybuilder, is it doing exercise affect our vocal health? I'm starting to practice my vocal recently..

Do I suppose to avoid some body exercise as a singer?

Some people said that we should decrease the weight because it can harm our vocal cord. Is that true?

Thanks before hand. :)

• Members

My vocal coach says that bodybuilding can be harmful, because when you lift the heavier weights, you close the throat very aggressively for extra stability.

Not sure how much of an impact it will have though. Maybe it's almost negligible :]

• Members

No it can't harm your vocal chord, unless you scream very loud when doing reps =))

But I think it can make some muscles that need to be relaxed more tense, for example throat and shoulder muscles. Therefore it can slow your progress. But that is just theoretically.

I personally do bodybuilding myself and do singing as well. Of course I cannot say for sure that "if I didn't do bodybuilding, I would have been a better singer" or the other way around, but I do notice that after you workout shoulders and traps, those areas do become more tense.

I can tell you that I am struggling to get a natural vibrato in my voice, and to get a vibrato you need an open and relaxed throat, so bodybuilding may be the reason for that, but again, i cannot say for sure

To answer your question, NO you will not harm your chords by lifting but it might somewhat slow down your singing progress, BUT I wouldn't stop bodybuilding because of singing, I don't think its that serious

• Moderators

I think its important for singers to have a decent amount of body strength to maintain your breath support. I think doing some moderate weight-lifting could actually be beneficial. Though I just wouldn't take things too much to the extreme. I would try to avoid excessively heavy weights and try to avoid doing too many exercises that target the neck muscles. One of the main reasons why some experts advise against weight-lifting is because there is a tendency for people to grunt while doing reps. The whole point to grunting or capping the breath is to help stabilize body muscles by using breath compression. If this is done repeatedly too many times then the vocal folds can actually become thickened as a result. Sometimes this can make it more challenging for singers to achieve clean cord closure. If you find yourself needing to grunt excessively then you're probably pushing past your limit. Try to use a unvoiced hiss instead. This issue has actually happened to me one time when I use to weight-lift regularly. I wasn't able to get a clean tone for a couple weeks until I adjusted my routine.

• Members

@Masklin: I think we can solve that problem with don't grunting... But I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

@jootly: I too feel these tense sense around shoulder and trap when training those area, but after taking a break after workout, I don't feel these tense feeling anymore..

@davie: I already know the grunting means, but what is capping the breath mean? Is it hold your breath? sorry english not my native.. and how you adjusted your routine? Should I avoid trap and shoulder exercise?

Thanks

• Moderators

Yes, capping the breath, basically holding your breath using your throat. Its a more subtle version of grunting. If you do slow exhales instead, it will bypass using the throat. You don't have to avoid the exercises completely. Just use lesser weights for exercises that target shoulder and neck/trap muscles. And do those exercises less often.

• Members

The main obstacle bodybuilders run into as far as vocals go, is the ability to relax. If you can totally relax, you will do fine. When performing vocal support, there is a need to use a lot of muscular strength to resist the rise of the diaphragm. In-between phrases, you must totally relax this tension. That's hard to do if you are used to bench-pressing and doing ab crunches. If you can manage to do the relaxation, you'll be fine.

Also, the chest, neck, and throat must remain relaxed and as tension-free as possible. If you can manage that tension, bodybuilder or not, you will do fine.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
The main obstacle bodybuilders run into as far as vocals go, is the ability to relax. If you can totally relax, you will do fine. When performing vocal support, there is a need to use a lot of muscular strength to resist the rise of the diaphragm. In-between phrases, you must totally relax this tension. That's hard to do if you are used to bench-pressing and doing ab crunches. If you can manage to do the relaxation, you'll be fine.

Also, the chest, neck, and throat must remain relaxed and as tension-free as possible. If you can manage that tension, bodybuilder or not, you will do fine.

Bob

so is it okay for other sport such as swimming, running, bicycling, yoga, and kick boxing?

• Members

Yes, sports are fine. I'm a runner. I ran seven miles this evening. I have to remember to stay hydrated so I don't dry out too much. That will affect my voice.

I like bike-riding as well. It's good for you. Yoga is a great way to work on your breath and on your ability to totally relax. Kick-boxing sounds like a great way to stay fit. Swimming is a super way to use low-impact workouts to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Your body-building isn't a deal-killer for your voice. You will just have to learn to relax when singing. All those workouts in all parts of your body can have you tense.

All the Best!

Bob

• Members

If you can learn to not cap your breath while you sing, you'll be OK.

Another problem body-builders can experience is to be unable to relax the abs between applying breath support. You need abdominal strength in order to support, but you also need to be able to totally RELAX the abs in-between breaths. Otherwise you WILL run out of support, Hercules or not. You just HAVE to relax the diaphragm in those spaces between the singing phrases. If you have abs of steel, they may be too tense unless you can learn to relax them for those pauses.

All the Best!

Bob

• Moderators

so is it okay for other sport such as swimming, running, bicycling, yoga, and kick boxing?

I heard that some of the most helpful exercises for singers are yoga and pilates. Usually anything that has a good balance between strength and flexibility.

Archived