How long did it take you to get a natural vibrato?

jootly

• Members

I've been taking singing classes for almost a year now and I still have no vibrato whatsoever. I know there are exercises to develop an artificial vibrato, but I don't want to take the easy way. Also my teacher tells me that is not a healthy way and it should come naturally. But i'm just getting kind of frustrated now.

How long did it take you or people you know to develop a natural vibrato? And do you think i should just screw it and do some exercises and develop it this way? Because I really feel like it is a major part of my singing that is missing..

• Members

Try practising long 20 second sirens from C4 to A4. Aim to keep the volume constant and the pitch progression smooth and steady.

It is not easy. But aiming totally in the opposite direction, and trying NOT to vibrato may actually expose your natural vibrato.

Record the siren and listen carefully. As you learn to relax and perfect the siren, I bet your voice will vibrato at certain points.

• Members

What do you mean by sirens? Going really fast back and forth or slowly like a firetruck?

You're suggesting exact notes I should practice with, but everybody's different and ranges are different too. Can you explain the range I should take as in: should it be my highest part of the range (which is not so comfortable) or my comfortable working range. Should it be falsetto or chest or head or mixed?

• Members

I am not a vocal trainer or coach. I am only stating my own observations :-)

In this case, a siren is a slow, smooth, single sweep from a low note to a high note. You DON'T go back and forth.

The range and duration I gave are only nominal. You can choose, but the wider the range, the more likely you are to hit a spot that exposes your natural vibrato.

Mixed voice should be good to go. Whatever you choose, use it for the full range. Don't change mid-siren. Keep your timbre as consistent as possible.

And the longer the siren, the better the breath control required to complete it.

The idea is to forget trying to vibrato, altogether, and concentrate fully on a steady, long, well controlled exhalation. Those are the conditions that can expose natural vibrato.

Listen carefully to your recording, and identify where your voice is starting to vibrato. I am guessing it will do it some place, because it is actually quite difficult to make vibrato COMPLETELY disappear.

Once you are aware of the natural sensation, as oppose to a faked one, you can choose to support it and bring out the effect.

Here is a reasonable article on vibrato. Although it is not entirely consistent in its position on vibrato, it does describe how your expectations can be misled by famous singers who use artificial mechanisms to exaggerate the effect. A natural vibrato is relatively fast and subtle.

http://www.singwise.com/cgi-bin/main...es&doc=Vibrato

• Moderators

There could be many challenges in developing a natural vibrato. It usually happens when one or more things are in balance. Its achieved with an open throat and proper breath management and support. If there's a squeeze in the throat then there won't be any vibrato. If the tone is unsupported or there's too much breath pressure then there also won't be any vibrato. Once you start freeing up the voice your natural vibrato should gradually come. When I started vocal training, I think it took me a few months of regular practice for my vibrato to start coming in. Over 2 years of training my natural vibrato always seems to be present now whenever I sing. Though there are some vocal exercises that encourage the development of vibrato, such as sped up vocal trills, there's no substitute for well-balanced vocal routine. Natural vibrato is usually the result of good vocal function, not the other way around. You either need some more time to develop it, or you need to find if there's a vocal concept missing from your training.

Archived