Before and After recordings, how to reach the next level?

VladM

• Members

I'm self taught, I learn by outside feedback and trail and error.

Tomorrow is a Long Time cover 2 years ago:

Current version:

I was wondering if anyone has advice on how I can progress. Thank you.

• Members

@VladM,

The notes you are sustaining at the ends of each line are somewhat random in pitch. Singing is about sustaining vowels on extended notes and specific pitches.

Your more current version is better than your older version.

Your progress is very slow, due to it being conducted via trial and error.

I suggest you choose a home singing program and begin doing specific training to learn better breath control, pitch, timbre, support, etc. Otherwise you will be many years with very slow progress. If singing is something that is important to you, then you should pursue it more deliberately and with guidance. You can do exercises that will grow your voice and turn your demos into something they will never be with your present trial and error course of action.

Get a vocal plan and follow it. You'll thank yourself.

I'm not saying you're terrible. I'm saying you could be far better than you presently are, but not by random chance.

All the best to you!

Bob

• Members

I think you have captured the mood of the song in the second clip, and you have instinctively migrated to a more sophisticated vocal coordination -- so it will be more difficult to master.

The timbre in the first clip is clearer, but one-dimensional. When you try to do two-dimensional things with it, it causes a pitch problem. I reckon you were thinking two dimensional, but using a one-dimensional mechanism.

The second clip is two-dimensional and more expressive, but the words are less clear (which I hope is not a Dylan influence :-;),

You are modulating the overtones, which is a huge improvement over the earlier coordination. I really like when the overtones "float" like that (too much "edge", and I don't think it can be done). You have to take care, because it can sound pitchy to some people, especially if it is not fully controlled, or the overtones are subtle. Personally,, I didn't find your second clip pitchy, even though some of your overtones are practically whispered. I'd put a tiny touch more on the highest overtones (my personal preference).

I would stick with the trial and error (rather than a strictly pedagogical approach), because you seem to know what you are doing. But you can use more than feedback -- you can research online documentation and video presentations that you can experiment with, and decide what suits you. (Even getting a coach is trial and error, in the end.)

At around 48 -50 seconds of your second clip, the 'O' of "softly" is not supported. I can identify with this, and I think it is the most difficult vowel to sing with this coordination. It could be a good vowel to use to improve breath control. Or you could cheat, and use a more American "sarftly" or "saaftly" sound :-)

• Moderators

To be honest, Your tone sounds stronger in the older clip. The pitch between both clips was about the same in terms of quality. I kinda feel that you fell short in terms of breath support in the newer clip, which tends to sound a bit shaky. I think the best way for you to improve is to get a voice teacher. Focus on your technique as well as your musicality.

• Members
I'm self taught, I learn by outside feedback and trail and error.

Tomorrow is a Long Time cover 2 years ago:

Current version:

I was wondering if anyone has advice on how I can progress. Thank you.

Of the 2 recordings...The oldest one sounds better, your confidence is resounding and stable, whilst the latter of the 2 your voice sounds erratic-your vibrato being the culprit.

How often do you sing and practice? Daily exercising of the vocal chords is fundamental to your goals to improve upon your foundation. You know how to sing. Your mission should you choose to accept it lies in breaking down the song into one liners. You play and sing one line a hundred times before you move on to the next. What you need to do is to listen to yourself sing.

Do you hear what you are missing? If no? Ask someone should you be hearing it?

If yes? Write it down and post it here. The help you seek can only be as good as the forthcoming

expressions that you aid us with in posting about what "you" hear and what you want to hear.

The key to doing this: Visualize, verbally express the vision, rinse and repeat.

Archived