Please critique my voice. Dream On- Steven Tyler

IamHo

• Members

IamHo,

I think your main goal right now should be to sing on pitch. You are off pitch most of the song, especially at the end of the phrases and your tone have a strong nasal quality that should be worked.

You have very little control of the notes you're singing and you need to practice exercises to develop consistency and a strong mix voice.

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

• Members

Hello, @IamHo

You are a little out of breath throughout this demo. You need to develop diaphragmatic breathing techniques to power your voice, as well as develop and use breath support.

Better support will help you to reach some of the notes that are out of reach for you.

As MVieira said, you need to practice vocal exercises to build strength, build range, give better consistency. Your highest note in your demo is a little bit flat of the G#5 that is in the original. You are between a G and G# on that note.

Your pitch wanders a lot. There are entire lines that you start off on an incorrect note, and all the notes that follow are likewise incorrect. Other lines you sing are on the correct pitch, but sometimes with a flat note here and there.

These are all things that can be made much better, or even completely corrected with a good routine of vocal exercise and instruction.

Even bad pitch can be corrected, although it is harder for some students to hear and make corrections in that regard.

I can tell that you really want to become a good singer, and there is a better singer inside of you that wants to sing to the world. You should find a vocal method that works for you and pursue that dream. It won't do any good to just shoot in the dark. You need a clear path. It can be a lot of work and take a lot of practice time, but it's worth it if you really want it.

SO, you need a plan. That plan should include breath control, pitch, support, tone, and honest feedback to help you make corrections and steer you in the right direction.

Good Singing to You!

Bob

• Members

Hey Ho, in addition to what the others said, I recommend you to invest in a better microphone. There is only so much detail we can make out from a rather extremely lousy recording such as this one, no offense. I imagine you used a built-in laptop microphone or worse?

Check back with questions and/or new recordings and we'll try to help as best we can. Remember though that none of us here are substitutes for live lessons with a teacher.

Good luck!

• Members

OP, it sounds like you are yelling the note of the lines/words...not singing.

You have no vibrato, no breath support and no patience in the lines you sing.

I'm proof that anyone can sing, so you will always be only limited by YOUR own desire/motivation.

First, you are singing a song that not very many seasoned, experienced singers can sing.

So start off with an easier tune first. Next you are doing the right thing by deconstructing the song and singing it without vibrato. This will teach you improvisation, vibrato placement and control of your voice.

The 3 P's of successful singing are:

-Practice

-Patience

-Perseverance

Don't stop aspiring to become a singer. If it truly is a passion that you desire? You will achieve it.

Archived