Chanticleer

1001gear

• Moderators

I doubt there was any autotuning involved. The recording mics were mainly capturing the overall room sound, not any individual singer's. And there were too many harmonies and blending for autotune to isolate any specific pitch.

• Members

I enjoyed this thoroughly. They are singing live, in ensemble style, with only a moment's exception where one tenor took a brief solo. It's not like a group of lead singers multitracking.

Most of what you hear in the actual original recordings by Queen are multitracks of Freddy Mercury. Queen's formula for their harmony parts was that ALL four members of Queen would sing ALL of the harmony parts, all on individual recoding tracks. When they were mixed down, Freddy's voice was the best in all of the leads and the harmonies, and was made dominant in the tracks. So Freddy is singing ALL of the harmony parts that you hear, and the others were added for filler. If you had 12 Freddy Mercury's standing there live, it probably would have sounded a lot better. Or 12 Glenn Hughes's or 14 Roy Orbisons...

: ^ )

Bob

• Members

I can hear a touch of instability in the solo portions, which I think would have got re-tuned if it wasn't live.

It all starts with energy, as far as I am concerned.

I would describe the energy of the song as "plaintive", and the song as a LAMENT.

I don't think Chanticleer have captured that energy, although their vocal gymnastics are impressive.

I don't like the Queen version, at all. (Not a fan of Queen, at all.) It could simply be that I am not favourably disposed towards the energy they are good at projecting.

I should add, that you don't have to be strident to capture the energy of a LAMENT. I think a subtle approach is far more effective.

• Members

Interesting take on the interpretation there^. As a non singer I dig it as a showpiece. Does admirably in that regard.

I agree some of the solo lines are a little out.

@ 01:50 The guy on the left gets a hair strident/flat but that was the only bit that to me really stuck in the redo zone

I doubt there was any autotuning involved. The recording mics were mainly capturing the overall room sound, not any individual singer's. And there were too many harmonies and blending for autotune to isolate any specific pitch.

Perhaps I overestimate the abilities of autotune. What I hear when I listen to this is stunning sonority and an uncanny lack of beating during sectional vibrato. Could be synced to the arrangement and globally smoothing out the vertical content?

Archived