opinions on my voice

• Members

Hello there I am a 17 year old songwriter (wouldn't call myself a singer since I'm very unhappy with my voice but I've always loved singing) and I want some opinions on my voice.:)

So questions I want answered except generally if I can sing or not;

What exactly do I need to improve?

What's good/bad about my voice?

How much better can I get?

Thanks a lot for all opinons

linkk; https://soundcloud.com/josefine-lea

• Moderators

Hi Josefine,

I can't really hear your voice properly in your clips. Can you record something without a vocal already in the background? Or maybe record something acapella? This would be more helpful, I think.

• Members

Yes, Davie is right. It's too hard to try to hear what is your voice and what is on the original artist's recording. I can hear that you can sing, but I can't hear YOU well enough to really tell you what's right and what's not about your voice.

Please try again with some karaoke tracks and have the music low enough under your voice so we can get a good listen to your voice.

Bob

• Members

Well, Josefine, I've listened to all three of your recordings on soundcloud. The most recent one has no backing tracks for pitch reference. I'm not a big fan of acapella tracks for that reason. The other tracks you are singing very quietly and it's hard to hear your voice at all. What I can hear sounds OK, but I think overall you need to work on your breath and support. You're a bit too tentative, and need to go ahead and sing, not be quiet like you don't want to disturb anybody.

The sound of your voice is pleasant, and I think it's on pitch, but it's a little inconsistent. Diaphragmatic Breath and support would be a way to gain more consistency in the sound you are producing.

Maybe you can find some karaoke tracks and sing a little more like you mean it and post again. I'm not knocking your voice at all, but these tracks are hard to use to give you much feedback.

Good luck!

Bob

• Members

Hey! It is hard to discern everything because certain tracks are not very loud, but based on what I hear, I'd say you sound alright! However, I have to point out that there is a slight lack of harmony in your voice.

My suggestion is that you just continue practicing. With time tiny imperfections will come into place!

How long have you been singing?

Best wishes.

• Members

Maestro100; I'll keep practicing thanks for feedback ^^ I've been singing since I was probably 4 haha but started singing in choir when I was 11/12 and have been doing that on and off ever since but i'm not atm :) I'd say I started taking my singing more seriously when I was 15 so it wasn't very long ago.

And anyway I have now updated my soundcloud maybe my voice is more clear here https://soundcloud.com/josefine-lea/video-games :D

• Moderators

Josefine, I listened to your 2 new clips.

I think your voice can be improved upon. I think there's potential in your voice that you haven't explored yet. I noticed that you sing very low and soft, and also somewhat breathy. There is almost a speech-like quality to your singing. You need more breath support and also need to gain access to your head voice register. I believe that you are able to sing much higher than this. I don't think 'sad girl' was that high in pitch, that could have been sung in the normal male range. Focus on the two points that I mentioned and it should help you improve. If you need more guidance then feel free to ask.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback!

It's just the whole thing with "head voice" that I cannot understand, I have watched online singing lessons since I cannot get offline singing lessons but I don't understand how to use head voice :/ I just find it very hard to sing high, it seems a lot more difficult and I always strain my voice when trying.I guess it's hard to explain how to do it in text but if you know any exercises or if you can explain it somehow it would be great :)

• Members

You sing okay but not good enough for a live act I'd go to see at a bar. Too many out of tune notes on Sad Girl. I suspect either you don't know the song well enough or you can't hear the backing track enough to stay in key. Keep practicing.

• Members

davie; offline singing lessons? that could be a problem because I live in sweden haha :/ but otherwise i'm interested!

idol1957; that's what I thought.I tried on that song but it's really wayy to high for my low range and it was late at night so I couldn't sing too loud.

• Members

@Josefine, the first tune, Video Games is pretty good. When you go into head voice on the F# at 01:15 and 01:31, your pitch is a bit flat. The pitch wanders a bit at 01:42. The tone of your voice is good. The second song, Sad Girl, is mostly in head voice. You need to practice a lot more in head voice, because you don't have as much control over it, pitch-wise. You need to use a lot more support in you head voice. That will help to stabilize your pitch issues.

You could do scales in head voice to help strengthen that part of your voice and to train your head voice to be more reliable.

I think you should take Davie up on his offer of free lessons. He could help you get a handle on some of these issues.

Your voice is pleasant overall. It just needs some focus and attention here and there. You need a plan so that your progress as a singer won't be random chance.

All the best!

Bob

• Members
Hello there I am a 17 year old songwriter (wouldn't call myself a singer since I'm very unhappy with my voice but I've always loved singing) and I want some opinions on my voice.:)

So questions I want answered except generally if I can sing or not;

What exactly do I need to improve?

What's good/bad about my voice?

How much better can I get?

Thanks a lot for all opinons

linkk; https://soundcloud.com/josefine-lea

Voice: your voice is very cute and marketable

Timbre: I love the air that your voice creates.

Head tone falsetto: It is very buttery smooth.

Full head voice: You hold back and don't exude confidence, hence why you

choose to fall back on the aforementioned falsetto and even though in all ways you are off key and pitch...I feel your voice has promise.

They say it takes 10,000 hours to "master" a skill.

I began singing (actually making parodies) when I was 5...to Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson.

What started out as a joke became a life long obsession (thus far) to keep exceeding my skill.

You need to take proper breathes to sustain the notes you need to hit within each song.

I like the dynamics of your choices when you sing but when it's time to belt out a line -you don't.

I always tell myself: "what have I got to lose?"

Then I realize it's my own insecurity that defeats my will before I do, if that makes sense.

You have the potential. Use it. Belt the notes, and find your flaws.

Once you do that? You can begin to resolve them because you will know what each note feels

like when they are right and wrong.

Archived