Need advice/feedback on vocals

reel2

• Members

I really enjoying playing and singing but have major issues with the way my voice sounds. I find it completely embarrassing - boring and flat. I've never heard anyone else sing with a similar voice. I need to now what i'm doing wrong and get some advice on how to improve

• Moderators
Any advice on improving singing tone and style? I always seem to sound a bit like a choir girl which is not right for popular covers but cant seem to change it! Any ideas?

Much about style is due to diction as well as the tone. The choir sound usually puts less emphasis on consonants and is usually sung in pure head tones. Pop music vocals tend to sound more on the conversational side, though I'm saying you should sing like you would speak, but putting in a bit of this element may be helpful to get more of the pop sound. If your diction and technique is too rigid then the vocal sound more towards the classical. Try practicing descending scales while going for that chest voice colour as you get down to the low notes. That should help find a more even tone.

Archived