Voice Intensity

kickingtone

• Members

I am one month into my project of building intensity into my voice.

I started singing about 4 months ago, and my first goals were making sure my ear was reliable and that my pitch wasn't bad.

Now I have scheduled 6 months for building intensity into my voice - stronger and fuller harmonic content.

Please take a listen and let me know what you think of the balance of my singing. Should I be focusing more on treble or bass?

Here are some samples. I welcome any other general comments, as well. Thanks.

http://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/all-you-gotta-do-is-ask-12l

http://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/donna-donna-donna-17l

http://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/moonlight-shadow-02l

• Moderators

I had a few listens of your clips. I think it would be helpful if you worked on developing the higher overtones of your voice, especially if you want to increase the intensity of your sound. The intensity of the singing voice is usually due to the amount of ring characteristic in the voice. Try working on your increasing your upper resonance and nasal resonance. The vocal would also be more engaging if you incorporated more use of dynamics as well. Hope this helps.

• Members
Wish I could give you advice like you give me, but I cant since I don't know too much about singing.

But it is a question about sound. :)

I think we should all be able to comment about sound from the day we are born (sort of). I do. Even though I am a singing novice.

For singing, I'm only a few months old, but I remember everything that I have "fixed", so far. If it worked for me, it may work for someone else, who knows.

Someone once told me that the only objective thing is singing is pitch and intensity. Everything else is subjective. So I try to get as much feedback as possible, although the end decision is mine.

(PS To some extent, pitch is also subjective.)

• Members
I had a few listens of your clips. I think it would be helpful if you worked on developing the higher overtones of your voice, especially if you want to increase the intensity of your sound. The intensity of the singing voice is usually due to the amount of ring characteristic in the voice. Try working on your increasing your upper resonance and nasal resonance. The vocal would also be more engaging if you incorporated more use of dynamics as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks. This is a timely reminder about upper resonance. I have taken my eye off the ball, concentrating so much on breath optimization.

Hopefully, what I have learned so far about breath optimization should help my upper resonance, as the two are related.

My approach is to listen to singers who have particularly good head tones, and good vocal balance. Any recommendations? I really need to appreciate the "head" resonance quality more, otherwise I'll keep ignoring it. Better would be two singers singing the same song, and a comparison of the head tones.

By dynamics, do you mean things like falsetto, yodeling, fry, drive etc., as a means of expression?

• Moderators

When I say dynamics, I mean having variation between soft and loud tones, as well as using different vocal colours as a means of expression. Having more "intensity" may fall under this category too.

• Members

Thanks for your advice, davie. Maybe I don't pay enough attention to dynamics when listening to my favourite music. It is definitely something I should start to do. So, in sixth months time, when I have discovered my basic technique, I will be ready to incorporate the finer details.

• 1 month later...

Archived