I suck at singing, please help me improve! Give me advice

MrClumzy

• Members

I really love to sing, but the problem is a suck at it. I believe i just have an ugly voice. Please help me improve so that I can sing well, give me your advice and input. Heres a recording, sorry for all the ruckus in the background.I messed up at the end also,forgot the words,so excuse the cussing. Thank you!

https://soundcloud.com/koalatyreke/voice-040

• Moderators

Hey there,

Your pitch tends to waver from time to time and there's also some pacing issues. I would work on basic scale exercises to gain some vocal agility and to hone on pitch. If you're having trouble with a particular phrase then I practice it repeatedly and checking the pitch on the instrument while you do it. Your vocal is a bit on the raw side but your natural tone isn't bad at all.

• Members

On the psychological side, I think it may be difficult to improve your singing if you don't like your voice or think it sounds ugly.

While it is extremely important to be scrupulously realistic and honest about any shortcomings, improvement comes from recognizing and enhancing what you like in your natural voice.

There are plenty of negative folk around to tell you not to give up the day job. Don't add to their number. You need to be honest and upbeat about your capabilities.

• Members
Hey there' date=' Your pitch tends to waver from time to time and there's also some pacing issues. I would work on basic scale exercises to gain some vocal agility and to hone on pitch. If you're having trouble with a particular phrase then I practice it repeatedly and checking the pitch on the instrument while you do it. Your vocal is a bit on the raw side but your natural tone isn't bad at all.[/quote'] Thanks for your advice! I asked this on many forums and you are the one that gave back input! I greatly appreciate your words of wisdom! I thought that my tone was horrible so thanks for that. Its still difficult for me to play the ukulele and sing at the same time so that may explain the pacing. I will work on some scale excerises. Will you please Check my voice again when I upload a new recording? Thank you!

• Members
On the psychological side' date=' I think it may be difficult to improve your singing if you don't like your voice or think it sounds ugly. While it is extremely important to be scrupulously realistic and honest about any shortcomings, improvement comes from recognizing and enhancing what you like in your natural voice. There are plenty of negative folk around to tell you not to give up the day job. Don't add to their number. You need to be honest and upbeat about your capabilities.[/quote'] I will use and apply this advice that you have given me. Its actually funny because someone told me I shouldn't quit my day job. Though this something I am very passionate about. So, I will be more positive on my voice so that I can improve. Thank you!

• Moderators
Thanks for your advice! I asked this on many forums and you are the one that gave back input! I greatly appreciate your words of wisdom! I thought that my tone was horrible so thanks for that. Its still difficult for me to play the ukulele and sing at the same time so that may explain the pacing. I will work on some scale excerises. Will you please Check my voice again when I upload a new recording? Thank you!

Sure. Just post it here when you're done.

• Members

I agree with the scale exercises, but don't just do scales along with playing the notes at the same time. Pick a note C D whatever. Play a 5 note scale on your instrument, then sing the scale WITHOUT the instrument, don't rush it, LISTEN, are you on pitch? If not correct it and move on.

• Moderators
What advantage do scale exercises have over singing simple melodies?

Vocal scale exercises have specific intervals and vowel sequences that are designed to achieve a particular outcome and coordination. Practicing them over time will help develop the voice.

• Members
I agree with the scale exercises' date=' but don't just do scales along with playing the notes at the same time. Pick a note C D whatever. Play a 5 note scale on your instrument, then sing the scale WITHOUT the instrument, don't rush it, LISTEN, are you on pitch? If not correct it and move on.[/quote'] Will do! Thanks!

• Members
Here's 2 recordings after a couple days practice. Is there any improvement? What more advice can you give me?

https://soundcloud.com/koalatyreke/banana-pancakes

https://soundcloud.com/koalatyreke/its-on-again-alicia-keys-ft

Give your voice a chance, man! Don't hold back. Let it all ring out, warts and all. Don't condemn it before you have heard it played back.

Don't be too put off from what you are hearing directly in your head. It can sound a lot harsher than it really is. Let loose and then listen to the playback, instead,

Some of the things you may instinctively be trying to filter out vocally will turn out to be the good stuff that gives your voice ring.

It will also help you get on top of the higher notes, some of which are falling short.

• Members

Give your voice a chance, man! Don't hold back. Let it all ring out, warts and all. Don't condemn it before you have heard it played back.

Don't be too put off from what you are hearing directly in your head. It can sound a lot harsher than it really is. Let loose and then listen to the playback, instead,

Some of the things you may instinctively be trying to filter out vocally will turn out to be the good stuff that gives your voice ring.

It will also help you get on top of the higher notes, some of which are falling short.

Thanks for replying, Although, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this.

• Members

I put some more recordings up. Thank you to everyone that replied and gave me advice, I am truly grateful for all of you helping me out. I have this crazy dream that maybe one day i'll be one of the first asian r&b singers on the radio, as there hasn't been any. I don't know if i'll make it, but i'm thankful that I got you guys for guiding me to being a better singer.

https://soundcloud.com/koalatyreke/sunday-morning-maroon-5-cover

• Members

Thanks for replying, Although, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this.

It sounds to me as if you are holding back -- not trying to sing with your whole lungs, right from the diaphragm. That makes it difficult to get on top of the notes that are higher than your normal speaking range.

I don't know how relevant my own experience is, but I used to try to suppress part of my voice because I thought it sounded too harsh. It turned out to be the essential ringing part of my voice. I needed to let it out and train it, not suppress it. It only sounded jarring to me because I was hearing it directly. You are the only one who hears your voice directly. Everyone else hears airwaves.

You can try an experiment. Pick a song that you can sing with your full lungs. Let loose completely and record yourself. Listen to the recording carefully.You may hear new things that you would like to develop.

BTW, what part of Asia, as a matter of interest?

• Members
It sounds to me as if you are holding back -- not trying to sing with your whole lungs' date=' right from the diaphragm. That makes it difficult to get on top of the notes that are higher than your normal speaking range. I don't know how relevant my own experience is, but I used to try to suppress part of my voice because I thought it sounded too harsh. It turned out to be the essential ringing part of my voice. I needed to let it out and train it, not suppress it. It only sounded jarring to me because I was hearing it directly. You are the only one who hears your voice directly. Everyone else hears airwaves. You can try an experiment. Pick a song that you can sing with your full lungs. Let loose completely and record yourself. Listen to the recording carefully.You may hear new things that you would like to develop. BTW, what part of Asia, as a matter of interest?[/quote'] I understand now. I sort of change my voice when I sing because I thought my voice sounded too scratchy . So I'll use your advice. In general in the states there are rarely any Asian people on the charts or on the radio except for rare occasions like when PSY was famous with gangnam style. So I was hoping maybe one day I could get there with my favorite genre of music which is R&B (I'm Vietnamese btw) . Though not sure if my voice is good for it. I'm only 16 so I've got a lot to learn and my voice will change also. Thanks for giving me tips kicking tone!

• Moderators

I agree, you sound like you're holding back too much. It sounds too close to speaking on pitch. The main difference between speech and singing is that in singing you use more acoustical space and more support from the body. There needs to be more energy in the body and the airflow needs to be steady. At 16, I think you're fairly young and your voice is probably still changing a lot, so it may feel like a struggle sometimes. Just keep at it and things may eventually smooth out over time. Also try to keep things moderate, avoid singing too softly or too loudly.

• Members
So I was hoping maybe one day I could get there with my favorite genre of music which is R&B (I'm Vietnamese btw) . Though not sure if my voice is good for it. I'm only 16 so I've got a lot to learn and my voice will change also. Thanks for giving me tips kicking tone!

Great stuff, and I wish you all the best, man. I've recently been hearing some great stuff coming out of Asia, as you make inroads into Western styles.

I've dug up an example of the "problem" I had.

I don't have proper recording equipment, yet, so sorry about the hiss. And I practice with nursery songs in place of scales, in case you are wondering. :)

http://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/pop-goes-the-weasel-06l

You may just be able to hear a shrill eeee sound echoing on the word "weasel". That is my nose resonating, which is meant to happen.

It sounds so much louder to me when I hear it directly, because the sound travels straight from my nose to my ears, through bone and tissue, rather than the air.. I thought it was intrusive, so I tried to suppress it. So, I didn't get to hear it in a recording. But one day, I didn't suppress it well enough, and the sound slipped through into the recording. I thought it sounded cool, but I didn't recognize it as the sound I was trying to suppress! It sounded so different in the recording. I was thinking, "that's cool, it makes my ee sound more alive -- how did I do that?" Eventually I put two and two together, and it was great to realize that less effort meant better sound! See how tired the word "weasel" sounds here, where I deliberately suppress the nasal resonance,...

http://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/pop-goes-the-weasel-06lsupp

• Members

Great stuff, and I wish you all the best, man. I've recently been hearing some great stuff coming out of Asia, as you make inroads into Western styles.

I've dug up an example of the "problem" I had.

I don't have proper recording equipment, yet, so sorry about the hiss. And I practice with nursery songs in place of scales, in case you are wondering. :)

http://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/pop-goes-the-weasel-06l

You may just be able to hear a shrill eeee sound echoing on the word "weasel". That is my nose resonating, which is meant to happen.

It sounds so much louder to me when I hear it directly, because the sound travels straight from my nose to my ears, through bone and tissue, rather than the air.. I thought it was intrusive, so I tried to suppress it. So, I didn't get to hear it in a recording. But one day, I didn't suppress it well enough, and the sound slipped through into the recording. I thought it sounded cool, but I didn't recognize it as the sound I was trying to suppress! It sounded so different in the recording. I was thinking, "that's cool, it makes my ee sound more alive -- how did I do that?" Eventually I put two and two together, and it was great to realize that less effort meant better sound! See how tired the word "weasel" sounds here, where I deliberately suppress the nasal resonance,...

http://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/pop-goes-the-weasel-06lsupp

Thanks for digging that up for me! I understand now! Great advice thank you!

• Members
So here's a recording I just made. My attempt to not hold back' date=' have a listen! https://soundcloud.com/koalatyreke/sam-cooke-change-gonna-come[/quote']

That sounds MUCH better to me. And where is this "scratchiness" you spoke of? I can't hear anything scratchy at all.

If you are comfortable at this intensity, I think it is the intensity at which you ought to train. I can hear a lot more potential in this recording.

There are some pitch issues, but I think most of it will disappear just by training at an intensity and state of relaxation that naturally improves the agility of your voice. The most important thing is that you can hear any issues, yourself, otherwise your instinct to correct them will not kick in.

Keep it up. I like the way you are approaching it as an art, rather than a technical science.

• Members
That sounds MUCH better to me. And where is this "scratchiness" you spoke of? I can't hear anything scratchy at all. If you are comfortable at this intensity' date=' I think it is the intensity at which you ought to train. I can hear a lot more potential in this recording. There are some pitch issues, but I think most of it will disappear just by training at an intensity and state of relaxation that naturally improves the agility of your voice. The most important thing is that you can hear any issues, yourself, otherwise your instinct to correct . will not kick in. Keep it up. I like the way you are approaching it as an art, rather than a technical science. [/quote'] You really thought it was better!? Thanks! Ill use my natural voice instead of changing it up for now on. I change it because I thought it sucked more but apparently not! I'll keep with it and work on my pitch. I was actually thinking about covering this song and putting it on YouTube. Can you listen to it before I upload it? I want to make sure its alright. The original is called icejjfish-on the floor. Check it out its actually pretty hilarious. I'm going to attempt to make It good

• Members
You really thought it was better!? Thanks! Ill use my natural voice instead of changing it up for now on. I change it because I thought it sucked more but apparently not! I'll keep with it and work on my pitch. I was actually thinking about covering this song and putting it on YouTube. Can you listen to it before I upload it? I want to make sure its alright. The original is called icejjfish-on the floor. Check it out its actually pretty hilarious. I'm going to attempt to make It good

Oh my GOD this is MUCH better, i'm with kickingtone, let it rip! Work on scales with this voice and intensity.

• Members
Oh my GOD this is MUCH better' date=' i'm with kickingtone, let it rip! Work on scales with this voice and intensity.[/quote'] Thank you so much! I will stick with this voice! This how I normally sung before, but changed my voice up recently when I sing. So I guess it truly is better to be yourself even when singing.

Archived