looking for input/advice, criticism, etc

Basslord1124

• Members

I'm 33yrs old and have been singing since high school where I sang in the high school choir. But I seem to have always made more of an emphasis on my instrument playing versus my vocals. Well I think I've coming to a point where I want to try and improve my vocals...since apparently those close to me are saying they need improvement. The criticism they always give is to sing in my natural voice which I just always thought that's what my voice sounded like. I just open my mouth and whatever comes out is what comes out.

So anyways, that's my situation. And like I said above, I kinda think I should spend more time on improving my vocal technique anyways as it's something I've sort of neglected. The only real vocal training I have had is just in high school/college choir. So I appreciate any suggestions, thoughts, criticisms that you all may have for me.

Here's a link to my reverbnation page:

http://www.reverbnation.com/christopherperkins

I only have 1 song on there now, but plan to add more later this year. And if needed, I'll try and find some other clips of me singing

• Members

All righty, I uploaded a few more tunes. These are all just clips of me doing some covers.

There are a couple small spots in this one where maybe I got into it a little too much and lost control. oopsy! lol

This one didn't come out too bad I guess. And just an FYI, this isn't the editted version...so some brief profanity towards the end of the clip.

And finally this one. No instruments...just me talking and singing so you can hear the differences. First part is an obvious cover and the 2nd part is a little piece of an original song I have.

• Members
Hi Chris,

I had a listen and I think your voice is not bad. What aspects of your vocals do you want to improve? Also, are you finding any vocal difficulties?

Thanks for listening. Well I guess the big thing is this whole natural voice thing (unless you all feel it's something I shouldn't worry about). But some have said that I sound so different when I sing compared to when I talk. In the clips I just posted you can hear my speaking voice some.

I think a few other things I was wondering about: my articulation of words/phrases AND trying not to sound nasally.

Just an FYI on my range, I would say I have a bass to baritone range. I don't have any trouble hitting middle C and my high range goes up a little more than that...say to an E or so. I have hit that high F or G above middle C before (without going falsetto), but that's something I only done a time or two and don't normally do anyways. That high E is probably the top of my comfort zone. As far as lowness, I would say a low G (first line of bass clef) is my comfortable low spot but I have hit lower before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Bump....

I just recently uploaded this tune too. This is an original tune that I am about done with the recording process and about to put it on my reverbnation page. Just gonna clean up some lead guitar and vocals. Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think:

• Moderators

I think the recording sounds fine. I think its okay to sound a bit different between your speaking and singing voice, since the voice will resonate differently in each mode. Just as long as you aren't straining your voice then I think you're doing fine.

Archived