No announcement yet.

Name this technique?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Name this technique?

    I've noticed a technique that some singers use in which, normally at the end of a phrase or long note, they 'jump' up in pitch, usually using falsetto, to a much higher note than the one they're on, and then carry on as normal. It's very subtle, and hard to describe, but one artist I've noticed it in is Janet Devlin, such as here at 1:36 on the word 'quite' and 2:18 on the word 'I'- you can quite distinctly hear here that she very quickly jumps up a fourth from the F to the Bb.

    Does anyone know a name for this?? It's almost like a very subtle form of yodelling
    Last edited by bodilingus; 03-16-2014, 04:12 PM.

  • #2
    Sure - why not call it yodelling?
    Hamilton Steele CD's / Hamilton Steele MP3 Downloads / Hamilton Steele iTunes


    • #3
      I think its just a subtle yodel. Sarah McLachlan is well known for using this technique.
      Moderator - Vocals and Voiceovers Forum
      Follow me on Twitter and Soundcloud


      • #4
        Definitely a form of yodeling. Peter Gabriel does it a lot too.
        I'm Masklin. How was your day?