Name by Goo Goo Dolls cover. Feedback on voice?

Kilovolt

• Members

Hello, I recorded a cover of Name by the Goo Goo Dolls. It's not the whole song, just the first verse and chorus. No fx was used, just straight out of the mixer. I boosted the vocal track a bit more than normal so you can hear the vocals better. Some feedback on how my voice sounds would be great. I've been singing for a while but I don't really have anyone that can really give me much insight on my vocals. I'm not even sure if I sound good. Thanks :) Here's the link: http://soundcloud.com/andrew-j-tibbetts/name/s-8xRln

• Moderators
Hello' date=' I recorded a cover of Name by the Goo Goo Dolls. It's not the whole song, just the first verse and chorus. No fx was used, just straight out of the mixer. I boosted the vocal track a bit more than normal so you can hear the vocals better. Some feedback on how my voice sounds would be great. I've been singing for a while but I don't really have anyone that can really give me much insight on my vocals. I'm not even sure if I sound good. Thanks :) Here's the link: http://soundcloud.com/andrew-j-tibbetts/name/s-8xRln[/quote']

Hey there Andrew, welcome to the forum. My main criticism is that your onset or vocal attack is a bit rough, and you tend to "scoop" beginning notes often. But overall I think your voice is pretty good. Aside from the beginning of lines your pitch is good.

• Members

Thank you for the criticism. I didn't quite realize I was doing that. I think the "scooping" was a result of me imitating john rzeznik a little bit. So I know how to get rid of that. But how can I make my attack more smooth and less rough?

• Moderators

I think the issue is mainly with the pure vowel attacks like 'ee' and fully voiced consonants like 'h'. You're using too much air on them. You can practice finding the right amount of air by adding on a sustained 'z' or 'v' consonant at the beginning. It will help you find the appropriate amount of air to use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I think the issue is mainly with the pure vowel attacks like 'ee' and fully voiced consonants like 'h'. You're using too much air on them. You can practice finding the right amount of air by adding on a sustained 'z' or 'v' consonant at the beginning. It will help you find the appropriate amount of air to use.

Do you have an example (time) when this happens?

All I am hearing seems to be a style thing ('scooping' I guess), and it seems controlled (and ok to my ears).

However, I can't pinpoint any rough onset, but I would like to be able to recognize what you are referring to apart from the 'scooping'.

• Moderators

The hard onsets are mainly on the beginning of the "scoops". The vocal attack on the beginning of some of the phrases are a bit louder than the rest of the phrase; mostly where the phrases start on pure vowels like at 0:51 and 1:10. In contrast, the vocal attack sounds more balanced when 'filtered' by a consonant like on 0:57 and 1:07.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Pitch and tone sound pretty good. Hopefully I can explain this right...but I think the problem is the articulation of the words. It's like listening to a metal singer/rapper and taking their approach to the approach to the words/phrasing. I would loosen up and draw each note and phrase out some more. I think what you executed here would work well in other songs...just not this one.

You know when I listened to the clip the first time, my first thought was you remind me of Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day.

Still though, good job! Keep at it! And that's probably one of my favorite Goo Goo Dolls tunes.

Archived