Famous Songs Where The Singer Is Out Of Tune

iago

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some Bob Dylan songs...lol

Nick Cave on some or most of the songs I've heard of his...they're sort of...off...

That's all for now.

Dylan insisted in that Don't Look Back documentary that he hits all the notes. Which songs does he miss them?

• Members

Well, I think in Kanye's case autotune is used as an effect--I mean there's no attempt to disguise it. Quite the opposite. People who know nothing about music production may not know what he's using, but it's obvious that he's using something.

Now the pop crowd is something else, especially the over-produced Jacksonesque vocals that marks the Disney style....:facepalm: Miley Cyrus, for example, is autotuned in such a way as to conceal the effect. This is what most of us think of when we think of autotuning. I don't like autotuning when it's used to try and perfect a voice.

Used lightly, however, it's a useful safety net that can ease a singer's mind about truly epic fails. In this sense I believe that autotune is much more widely used than people realize. And in practice sessions it can be a great tool for developing pitch--one's voice will start automatically adjusting to the pitch one hears trough the PA, and as time goes by the voice needs less support.

(Disclaimer--I do NOT use autotuning during band practice or gigs. I use it only when practicing alone. I have principles!)

• Members

Dylan insisted in that Don't Look Back documentary that he hits all the notes. Which songs does he miss them?

It's not so much that Bob misses notes--in fact I think he misses very few, considering how often his vocal ability is criticized. Rather, his tonal quality is not consistent--there's often a waver or quiver that we call a pitch problem (and I suppose it is if one thinks in terms of micropitches) but is actually at worst a bit of sloppiness and most often a deliberate aesthetic effect.

In this respect Bob uses his voice very like the old blues and cowboy/hobo singers--he hits notes well enough, but vocal perfection is not an aesthetic concern for him. Think about it: Guys like Bob and Neil Young certainly can sing well and do so on many songs. They also have lots of $$$ and infinite time in the studio, so they need not ever let a vocal pass that's less than perfect if perfection is really what they're after. The lack of perfection in their vocals, then, would appear to be deliberate, designed to communicate to the listener and deepen the impact of the song.

• Members

One song that gets mentioned a lot if the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Under The Bridge.

Any others?
:confused:

Actually, pretty much any song where Anthony Kiedis "sings."

I just heard "Music Is my Aeroplane" on the radio the other day and was amazed that they ever let that vocal performance on a finished product.

Horrible.

• Members

Also, Breaking the Girl. It sounds sort of like he's purposefully singing just off the notes, you know? I remember when my friend and I would sing it together as a joke when we were 15 years old at school, we'd do the weird hand gestures the RHCP would do and sing the song, and I recall vividly singing the notes OFF to make it sound more realistic. lol

• Members

It's not so much that Bob misses notes--in fact I think he misses very few, considering how often his vocal ability is criticized. Rather, his tonal quality is not consistent--there's often a waver or quiver that we call a pitch problem (and I suppose it is if one thinks in terms of micropitches) but is actually at worst a bit of sloppiness and most often a deliberate aesthetic effect.

In this respect Bob uses his voice very like the old blues and cowboy/hobo singers--he hits notes well enough, but vocal perfection is not an aesthetic concern for him. Think about it: Guys like Bob and Neil Young certainly
can
sing well and do so on many songs. They also have lots of $$$ and infinite time in the studio, so they need not ever let a vocal pass that's less than perfect if perfection is really what they're after. The lack of perfection in their vocals, then, would appear to be deliberate, designed to communicate to the listener and deepen the impact of the song.

No offense Jack (pun intended) but are those guys Neil and Bob, or is that what they do?... LOL... kidding, of course...

With all due respect, only in this sweet country of ours one will make as much money with voices like that. One could call them great at anything in the world but singing. Sorry for the spurt... but true.

• Members

Actually, pretty much any song where Anthony Kiedis "sings."

I just heard "Music Is my Aeroplane" on the radio the other day and was amazed that they ever let that vocal performance on a finished product.

Horrible.

If you remember Kedis started as a rapper, with very few aspirations of singing.He kind of morphed it into a painful, off pitch, winy, amateurish yelp; but he did it over a long period of time, allowing everyone too get used to it. Only in this country, I tell ya'...

• Members

No offense Jack (pun intended) but are those guys Neil and Bob, or is that what they do?... LOL... kidding, of course...

With all due respect, only in this sweet country of ours one will make as much money with voices like that. One could call them great at anything in the world but singing. Sorry for the spurt... but true.

Very true, it seems to me. If one thinks of the "authentic" Americana genres--mountain folk, city folk/protest, blues, bluegrass, cowboy country--in all of these cases vocal quality is very clearly judged in terms of emotional power rather than technical prowess. Hank, Woody, Muddy, Mother Maybelle Carter--none of these artists were good singers in the sense we usually understand the term. But the power of their vocals...? :cool:

Here's a test: Elizabeth Cotten, one of the great ladies of the blues, performing her classic song "Freight Train." (The first minute or so is just chat with Pete Seeger, then the song starts.) What do you all think of Elizabeth Cotten? Is she an awesome performer or the prototype for the bad singers we find all over YouTube. Why?

[YOUTUBE]="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMSYzFdloqY&hl=en_US&fs=1&">[/YOUTUBE]

THIS is why Bob and Neil insist on singing the way they do--they are aware of themselves as standing on the shoulders of a long line of singers with this aesthetic perspective.

• Members

THIS is why Bob and Neil insist on singing the way they do--they are aware of themselves as standing on the shoulders of a long line of singers with this aesthetic perspective.

Emotional power is still not good enough if one doesn't have enough of an instrument to convey it. And that in itself is what is debatable. It has less to do with knowing music and technique, and more with life experiences and places. To a degree, it's more like subjective popular art and less about music and singing. I guess what I'm saying is that you have to have both sides of the coin to be something really special...

Elisabeth is a horrible singer, better guitar player, but has a pretty modulation there, song wise, that's undeniable. Just the artifacts of her singing like that (reaching up) makes it interesting, if not special. But no one should consider that a good vocal performance. I can see your point, where Bob for example, growing up on that kind of stuff, would never think of ever improving his singing voice... i don't know, but do you think Bob, in a sense would be considered the "soul" of white people?

• Members

i don't know, but do you think Bob, in a sense would be considered the "soul" of white people?

Interesting....He may well see it that way. And, by the way, don't think I'm knocking vocal chops--I enjoy Italian opera very much, as well as some of the old crooners, especially Nat King Cole and Ella.

And I am not fully comfortable with the conscious imitation of "naive" art, if that means that someone chooses not to work hard. I might like abstract expressionism, for instance, but I like it more when I know that the painter went to art school or could at least draw.

• Members

I kind of think everyone is unique and individual in their own voice and singing style...so in Bob's case, having never had any training or desire to really improve his voice, well, that's up to him. He was who he was (and still is)...and heaps of people really appreciated that and wouldn't want him to change or "improve", and they didn't care if he could read or write proper music, or if he had any background in musical studies or such...it didn't affect his ability to create music they wanted to hear and loved. From him.

Having said that...Bob's songs (mostly) were actually GOOD I think. My above attitude doesn't excuse so called "artists" from churning out crap they call songs when they can't sing, use auto-tune constantly and the only reason we even know any of their "songs" in the first place is because countless naive apparently tone-deaf kids with no musical taste or appreciation think the artist is "cool". *vomit*

Archived