Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous Songs Where The Singer Is Out Of Tune

One song that gets mentioned a lot if the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Under The Bridge.

Any others?
    Originally Posted by Darl Bundren

Sometimes Lego Star Wars is so much like the real world it's eerie.

Anything sung by either Southside Johnny or Elvis Costello.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

Some Bob Dylan songs...lol

Nick Cave on some or most of the songs I've heard of his...they're sort of...off...

That's all for now.
      All things must pass...

Comment

Some Bob Dylan songs...lol

Nick Cave on some or most of the songs I've heard of his...they're sort of...off...

That's all for now.

Dylan insisted in that Don't Look Back documentary that he hits all the notes. Which songs does he miss them?

Comment

Plant, All of my Love
          http://www.ameranouche.com/
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thl46...eature=related

Comment

Oh, you know, even as I wrote that, I was wondering if I meant that it's his voice type and singing style that makes him sound sort of off key...even if he is singing the right notes.
            All things must pass...

Comment

Any successful Quiet Riot Song - although God bless, he's passed on...
              And surprisingly Mickey Thomas, here and there guilty of the old head voice overshoot...
              Too much of anything is no good.

Comment

any singing by kanye west that isnt auto tuned
                i'm so cool! i can play music!

Comment

Haha, good one.
                  All things must pass...

Comment

any singing by kanye west that isnt auto tuned

Even Kanye's studio singing sounds off. So obviously auto-tuned.

Comment

To me, auto tune = what's the point? Why be a singer if you're not in tune?
                      All things must pass...

Comment

Well, I think in Kanye's case autotune is used as an effect--I mean there's no attempt to disguise it. Quite the opposite. People who know nothing about music production may not know what he's using, but it's obvious that he's using something.

Now the pop crowd is something else, especially the over-produced Jacksonesque vocals that marks the Disney style.... Miley Cyrus, for example, is autotuned in such a way as to conceal the effect. This is what most of us think of when we think of autotuning. I don't like autotuning when it's used to try and perfect a voice.

Used lightly, however, it's a useful safety net that can ease a singer's mind about truly epic fails. In this sense I believe that autotune is much more widely used than people realize. And in practice sessions it can be a great tool for developing pitch--one's voice will start automatically adjusting to the pitch one hears trough the PA, and as time goes by the voice needs less support.

(Disclaimer--I do NOT use autotuning during band practice or gigs. I use it only when practicing alone. I have principles!)
                        Jersey Jack

Gibson J45 & Hummingbird
                        Martin 000-28
                        Deering Sierra Banjo

"If you don’t like Springsteen that means you don’t like Woody Guthrie, which means you don’t like songs." Justin Townes Earle

Comment

Dylan insisted in that Don't Look Back documentary that he hits all the notes. Which songs does he miss them?

It's not so much that Bob misses notes--in fact I think he misses very few, considering how often his vocal ability is criticized. Rather, his tonal quality is not consistent--there's often a waver or quiver that we call a pitch problem (and I suppose it is if one thinks in terms of micropitches) but is actually at worst a bit of sloppiness and most often a deliberate aesthetic effect.

In this respect Bob uses his voice very like the old blues and cowboy/hobo singers--he hits notes well enough, but vocal perfection is not an aesthetic concern for him. Think about it: Guys like Bob and Neil Young certainly can sing well and do so on many songs. They also have lots of $$$ and infinite time in the studio, so they need not ever let a vocal pass that's less than perfect if perfection is really what they're after. The lack of perfection in their vocals, then, would appear to be deliberate, designed to communicate to the listener and deepen the impact of the song.
                          Jersey Jack

Gibson J45 & Hummingbird
                          Martin 000-28
                          Deering Sierra Banjo

"If you don’t like Springsteen that means you don’t like Woody Guthrie, which means you don’t like songs." Justin Townes Earle

Comment

Elvis Costello.

No way.
                            He has a weird timbre, but his pitch is pretty damn good.
                            My MYSPACE Page

My Soundclick Page

My YouTube Stuff

Comment

One song that gets mentioned a lot if the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Under The Bridge.

Any others?

Actually, pretty much any song where Anthony Kiedis "sings."
                              I just heard "Music Is my Aeroplane" on the radio the other day and was amazed that they ever let that vocal performance on a finished product.
                              Horrible.
                              My MYSPACE Page

My Soundclick Page

My YouTube Stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X