Chewing gum while singing?

Sparkdog

• Members

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and really enjoying the info I'm finding here :)

I have what some may find a strange question, and I couldn't find anything using the search function.

Does anyone else chew gum while they are singing?

I am a lifelong sinus sufferer and I've found that if I'm feeling a bit stuffy I will chew a piece of peppermint gum before going on stage (my brand is Trident White) and the menthol effect helps to relax and clear my sinuses. I often forget all about it and end up chewing it for the whole set.

It doesn't seem to have any effect on my voice at all, other than the obvious benefit of having better resonance because my sinus passages are clearer, but singing is such a physical activity I always think about the effect that food, drink, etc has on my voice.

I'm the only singer in one band I play with, and the main singer in the other, so I do lots of 3-4 set shows that are very demanding on me (primarily blues, R&B, rock)

Thanks!

• Members

Cool post and I'll tell you why.

I never sing with gum. I don't know anybody else who sings with gum in their mouth either. Then a few months ago I was flippin' through the channels and I saw Michael English who is a Christian singer doing and interview and then he sang. Oddly he mentioned that he ALWAYS sings with a stick of gum in his mouth. And this guy has a sweet-ass tenor soulfull sound.

Anyone who has been around singing long enough also knows to stay clear of sugar since it creates "gunk" on the chords as I'd say. But I would guess sugarless gum is fine.

I've never tried singing with gum, but with my style, I'd inhale that sucker and choke it up too soon I'm sure!

• Members

Gotta say, it's a lil weird...

But if it works... ya kn ow

The dangers of choking are obvious... but it could potentially interfere with the oral resonance...

Who knows?

I've never tried...

I sometimes raise my soft palate quite high for a certain sound... I'd worry about choking

----

TomMx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've done it before and had no problems. Keep's vocal cords nice and lubricated. Not like a MOST DO to perform. I must admit, it really HELPS when your doin' other things that night at the show you should'nt be doin'. Smokin', Drinkin' & Druggin'!!! Not that I know anything about that sort of thing ;) Geoff Tate of Queensryche has been seen "chompin'" while onstage.

• Members

I will occasionally chew sugarless gum between songs and then stuff it in the side of my mouth between my cheek and molars while I'm singing - it doesn't move from there (no choking) and it comes right down when I'm ready to chew it.

But I don't do it often - only when I'm feeling particularly dry or nervous (which can go hand in hand).

Brian V.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

For sinus problems, get a neti pot and an hour or two before the show rinse your nose with saline solution. I do this twice a day and wish I found out about it years ago.

Warm up with arpeggios (root-3-5-3-root) with the syllables na-na-na-na-na starting with as low as you can and then increase each arpeggio a half step until you are as high as you can comfortably.

Fiserman's Friends lozenges work well too.

Drink warm, non alcoholic liquids while you are singing, I bring a thermos of weak green tea.

I wouldn't chew gum while singing, as I use the shape of my mouth to color the notes, and I think gum would get in the way of that. Besides, I think I might choke.

Insights and incites by Notes

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I tried it this past weekend (chewing gum while singing). All I can say is, I will never sing again without it. It helped my range/stamina by keeping the saliva flowing. I'm usually hoarse the next morning, but I woke up Sunday as if I didn't gig at all. Simply amazing.

• Members

I tried it this past weekend (chewing gum while singing). All I can say is, I will never sing again without it. It helped my range/stamina by keeping the saliva flowing. I'm usually hoarse the next morning, but I woke up Sunday as if I didn't gig at all. Simply amazing.

That's what beer is for :-0

I have sung with gum, just gotta be careful if your belting out a tune that it does not go flying...

Archived