Singing Voice Totally Different From Speaking Voice?

grace_slick

• Members

Does anyone have this? I find some people sing a heap differently to how they speak, and others sing almost exactly as they speak.

Does this necessarily mean anything?

Also, and a second part to this question...is it a good thing if my speaking voice is quite varied?

Like, in my natural relaxed state, I speak quite low. (almost Stevie Nicks type voice, if anyone is familiar with that type of speaking voice) But if I'm around people I'm not 100% comfortable with, my voice goes up...it sounds almost like Kate Bush. Quite young and light and high, very clear...not at all like Stevie Nicks.

I can sing both high and low fairly well/easily...

What should my "natural" voice be?? What is best for a relaxed voice for me? High? Low? What?

• Members

You shouldn't worry too much about your "natural voice." It's paradoxical, but I believe that one's natural voice is something one has to find, not something that's just there. It's about proper development, not about remaining true to something already present.

Think rather in terms of avoiding an "unnatural" voice--i.e., those things that simply don't sit right, either in terms of feel or sound. Conversely, you'll find that brand new stylistic modes (sometimes with a little work) will feel right and become part of your natural voice!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Your "natural" singing voice should be whatever you're comfortable with. The only exception would be if singing is painful for you; in which case you probably aren't doing it right.

I've always been intrigued by vocalists who sing different than they talk.

Think of how many British singers over the years have tried to sound American. Mick Jagger, Roger Daltry, Eric Clapton, Robert Plant, Elton John, Eric Burdon, Van Morrison, Rod Stewart, the list goes on. Or how many white singers there are who try to sound black (too many to list).

Just sing however you feel like. It's all about expression.

• Members

I have often been told my voice is much deeper/lower when I sing. Apparently it is enough of a difference that many people comment on it. Some have expressed surprise when I speak with them between sets. They like performance and I get hired so it's fine with me!

My speaking voice tends to go all over the place, depending on my stress level and/or level of comfort. I notice it and try to use it as an indicator that I need to settle down and maintain control of what I am projecting. I teach/lecture on occasion and tend to be quite animated when I want to make a specific point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't know about particular cases, I'd have to see the person singing in front of me.

But it's usually a very bad symptom. It's not a good sign to sing and speak in 2 completely different voices - means one is probably doing something wrong (usually the singing voice).

What also happens is having speech/breathing problems in day to day life and not being able to sing right because of it.

• Members

I have often been told my voice is much deeper/lower when I sing. Apparently it is enough of a difference that many people comment on it. Some have expressed surprise when I speak with them between sets. They like performance and I get hired so it's fine with me!

My speaking voice tends to go all over the place, depending on my stress level and/or level of comfort. I notice it and try to use it as an indicator that I need to settle down and maintain control of what I am projecting. I teach/lecture on occasion and tend to be quite animated when I want to make a specific point.

It is probably resonance placement.

Think about how people like Richard Burton or Tom Jones sound when they speak, they have that hanging resonance, but if you take away that resonance, their voices wouldn't come across as deep as they seem.

• Members

I don't know about particular cases, I'd have to see the person singing in front of me.

But it's usually a very bad symptom. It's not a good sign to sing and speak in 2 completely different voices - means one is probably doing something wrong (usually the singing voice).

What also happens is having speech/breathing problems in day to day life and not being able to sing right because of it.

But it could also be a case of where you have somebody who is, for example trying to sound like Geoff Tate from Queensryche in their singing voice.

• Members

But it could also be a case of where you have somebody who is, for example trying to sound like Geoff Tate from Queensryche in their singing voice.

That's one of the possibilities, and it's very frequent, yes.

I'd estimate that about 95% of singers in their first months/years always try to immitate someone to a certain degree - it takes time to find "your own voice".

• Members

Interesting topic. :thu:

I made a video a while ago about singing other singers' material and getting stylistic variation.

D4xzgbyMGyQ

I don't think my speaking voice usually sounds that much like my singing voice, but that's probably because a lot of my singing uses various blends of chest/passaggio/head, whereas when I talk, it's pretty much from the chest.

Here's an older video where I talk about different octaves in a metal context, and you can probably hear that my lower range sounds a lot more like my speaking voice than the latter part of the video demoing more of my upper range.

Wy3Wi9hYwAo

• Members

I don't think my speaking voice usually sounds that much like my singing voice, but that's probably because a lot of my singing uses various blends of chest/passaggio/head, whereas when I talk, it's pretty much from the chest.

Speaking of passaggio, I asked you something about it on another thread! ;)

PS: sorry, only read it now. How did you learn passaggio? I'm struggling

• Members

Speaking of passaggio, I asked you something about it on another thread!
;)

PS: sorry, only read it now. How did you learn passaggio? I'm struggling

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31994592&postcount=22

Also, a professional voice teacher who knows how to help you open up this area of voice technique can be invaluable. That's my real secret. I learned how to do it from a great teacher. :thu:

• Members

Does anyone have this? I find some people sing a heap differently to how they speak, and others sing almost exactly as they speak.

Does this necessarily mean anything?

Also, and a second part to this question...is it a good thing if my speaking voice is quite varied?

Like, in my natural relaxed state, I speak quite low. (almost Stevie Nicks type voice, if anyone is familiar with that type of speaking voice) But if I'm around people I'm not 100% comfortable with, my voice goes up...it sounds almost like Kate Bush. Quite young and light and high, very clear...not at all like Stevie Nicks.

I can sing both high and low fairly well/easily...

What should my "natural" voice be?? What is best for a relaxed voice for me? High? Low? What?

Yes. My singing and talking voices are completely different. I don't think it means anything, I think it's just the way it works out. If your speaking voice is quite varied, it don't think it's a good or bad thing, i think it is just the way it is. Mine is, depending on what i'm saying. Certain words I say higher, and others i say very low. It makes sense that your voice changes around people youre not comfortable with, I think most people's do. Again, it isn't a bad thing. Your natural voice should be whatever comes out, as with the relaxed voice. basically, you shouldn't try to change your voice, just accept it how it is. It might sound weird to you, but chances are it is completely normal.

Archived