Best Harmony Groups

flemtone

• Members

OK, since there are the Best and Worst threads going, how about some opinions on multi-part harmony-centered groups? I'm not including individual bands that happen to have good vocals, but those whose harmonies are such an integral part of their music that they can stand out on their own without musical backing.

Another prerequisite is that the singers have to be able to do it live! Given the chance to autotune, overtrack, sweeten and otherwise modify any singer's performance, I think this needs to be a requirement.

I'm not including 50's doo-wop, though there's a wealth of talent there and every harmony vocalist should listen and study it for the techniques it can teach and strengthen...

I love a good harmony group, so I'll throw out my faves in no particular order.

The Roches

Cry Cry Cry

The Modernaires

The Four Tops

CSN (and sometimes Y)

Allison Krauss and Union Station

The Band

The Temptations

Let's hear your choices! Hopefully this thread will enable each of us to be exposed to some musicians that we haven't listened to for one reason or another, and possibly make a happy connection with some new music.

:wave:

• Members

I think Journey is to go without saying. If you ever really listen to the Dam Yankees, you will be amazed at the harmonies. They had three lead singers in that band and the fourth wasn't bad either. One of my all time favorites is The Little River Band. I opened for them a few years ago, and as far as you saying "they still have to do it live" they were amazing. After that many years they can still belt it out. What a pleasure to see that, live, in person. Bunch of really nice guys too.

• Members

Peter Paul and Mary.

Check Mary out. She was so beautiful at the time of this vid.

The Association - nerdy dudes, awesome vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tVhCbOXP30

The Beatles (come on, these guys were just awesome.)

The Kinks (Dave Davies rocks.)

The Birds (Omg)

Love

Simon and Garfunkle

The Mamas and the Papas

Peter and Gordon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F37X_EJWSoM&feature=related

ELO

So many more. I grew up singing CSN. We would do Suite Judy Blue eyes forever. I have always wanted to find someone to be able to do some of their music.

• Members

One of my all time favorites is The Little River Band. I opened for them a few years ago, and as far as you saying "they still have to do it live" they were amazing. After that many years they can still belt it out. What a pleasure to see that, live, in person. Bunch of really nice guys too.

I dig the little river band. I play Reminiscing. Great tune. Cool jazzy song. It is way up there too. Man. I have been messing around from time to time to try and get a different key to work, but the guitar loves the fact that the whole song is basically Gmaj7, C9, B9, except the intro that is.

• Members

Van Halen-David Lee Roth

Sly & the Family Stone

Earth, Wind & fire

early Who- check out "Happy Jack"

I love that early Who album. Boris the spider! Or, one I really haven't heard people cover, "Whiskey Man." That is a very cool tune that I have worked out. Love the who in general. And, Earth Wind and Fire, great stuff.

• Members

I love that early Who album. Boris the spider! Or, one I really haven't heard people cover, "Whiskey Man." That is a very cool tune that I have worked out. Love the who in general. And, Earth Wind and Fire, great stuff.

Yes, very few know about Boris

more on the list

Heatwave,Yes,Three Dog Night,The Mavricks,UB40-The early years when they did their stuff,

• Members

Yes, very few know about Boris

more on the list

Heatwave,Yes,Three Dog Night,The Mavricks,UB40-The early years when they did their stuff,

We play Boris the Spider. Fun tune, that we usually pull out for Halloween, but this year we had an entirely different scenario going on that it wouldn't fit into. But yeah that's definitely a fun tune to play.

• Members

I have to disagree. As much as I liked them back in the day, they didn't even do their vocals in tune in the studio, let alone live.

Interesting. Do you have a cool story to tell? Did you work in a studio?

The arrangements are very cool. I guess then I would have to give credit to the engineer. Maybe we should start a "best Engineer" thread.

• Members

No one?

Really?

Well then, let me be the first to mention the Doobie Brothers. I was amazed at how good their vocals were live.

I saw the Minute by Minute tour. (some don't like that era, but I think they were great.) I like Micheal McDonald (love steely dan too). Certainly, the Johnston era was the chit. He is a great writer. But I am not a snob about it. I think that he Doobs worked and changed with the times in a pretty cool way. Tyrone Porter was a beast - big dude, nice vocals. They were a solid band.

• Moderators

Interesting. Do you have a cool story to tell? Did you work in a studio?

The arrangements are very cool. I guess then I would have to give credit to the engineer. Maybe we should start a "best Engineer" thread.

No. I just have their first album, and the vocals are not in tune. The end of "Cherish" is notable for that. I hadn't noticed it, being pretty young back then, until I saw them on television, and the vocals were badly out of tune. The next time I listened to the LP, I noticed that they were out there too, though not so badly. Still some good songs, though.

• Members

the Weavers, dude! "Live at Carnegie Hall" (1955), they sound better live than in studio.

the Zombies: when they locked, awesome ("She's Not There" and "Time of the Season")

the Chiffons: my favorite girl group ("One Fine Day")

the I-Threes: took over backing vocals when Bunny and Tosh left the Wailers and Bob took over. ("No Woman", "Rebel Music")

Mahotella Queens: South African mbaqanga, often backed Malathini

Sly & the Family Stone, the Mills Brothers, Andrews Sisters, Spinners, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Beatles, Beach Boys.

oh yeah, and . . the King's Singers! saw them live at a college, they rocked the joint, madrigal-style.

• Members

the Weavers, dude! "Live at Carnegie Hall" (1955), they sound better live than in studio.

the Zombies: when they locked, awesome ("She's Not There" and "Time of the Season")

the Chiffons: my favorite girl group ("One Fine Day")

the I-Threes: took over backing vocals when Bunny and Tosh left the Wailers and Bob took over. ("No Woman", "Rebel Music")

Mahotella Queens: South African mbaqanga, often backed Malathini

Sly & the Family Stone, the Mills Brothers, Andrews Sisters, Spinners, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Beatles, Beach Boys.

oh yeah, and . . the King's Singers! saw them live at a college, they rocked the joint, madrigal-style.

I was just doing "tell her no" and I remembered this thread. I love the zombies. I mean, I freak'n love the zombies. What a great group, great name, great everything. Beachwood park, brief candles, Care of the cell, oh man these guys really were great singers.

And, many groups have said that they were their inspiration.

Archived