X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Harmony Groups

OK, since there are the Best and Worst threads going, how about some opinions on multi-part harmony-centered groups? I'm not including individual bands that happen to have good vocals, but those whose harmonies are such an integral part of their music that they can stand out on their own without musical backing.

Another prerequisite is that the singers have to be able to do it live! Given the chance to autotune, overtrack, sweeten and otherwise modify any singer's performance, I think this needs to be a requirement.

I'm not including 50's doo-wop, though there's a wealth of talent there and every harmony vocalist should listen and study it for the techniques it can teach and strengthen...

I love a good harmony group, so I'll throw out my faves in no particular order.

The Roches
    Cry Cry Cry
    The Modernaires
    The Four Tops
    CSN (and sometimes Y)
    Allison Krauss and Union Station
    The Band
    The Temptations

Let's hear your choices! Hopefully this thread will enable each of us to be exposed to some musicians that we haven't listened to for one reason or another, and possibly make a happy connection with some new music.

:wave:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

I think Journey is to go without saying. If you ever really listen to the Dam Yankees, you will be amazed at the harmonies. They had three lead singers in that band and the fourth wasn't bad either. One of my all time favorites is The Little River Band. I opened for them a few years ago, and as far as you saying "they still have to do it live" they were amazing. After that many years they can still belt it out. What a pleasure to see that, live, in person. Bunch of really nice guys too.

Comment

Even though I'm not a fan. You have to put the Eagles in the list.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Fusion Tycoon<br />
      <br />
      <a href="http://www.myspace.com/mercurycatfish" target="_blank">Mercury Catfish Myspace</a> <br />
      <br />
      <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=339082" target="_blank">Mercury Catfish</a></div>

Comment

Peter Paul and Mary.

Check Mary out. She was so beautiful at the time of this vid.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UKvpONl3No

The Association - nerdy dudes, awesome vocals.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tVhCbOXP30

The Beatles (come on, these guys were just awesome.)
        The Kinks (Dave Davies rocks.)
        The Birds (Omg)
        Love
        Simon and Garfunkle
        The Mamas and the Papas
        Peter and Gordon
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F37X_EJWSoM&feature=related
        ELO

So many more. I grew up singing CSN. We would do Suite Judy Blue eyes forever. I have always wanted to find someone to be able to do some of their music.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">It is a really good idea to get really good equipment.</div>

Comment

One of my all time favorites is The Little River Band. I opened for them a few years ago, and as far as you saying "they still have to do it live" they were amazing. After that many years they can still belt it out. What a pleasure to see that, live, in person. Bunch of really nice guys too.

I dig the little river band. I play Reminiscing. Great tune. Cool jazzy song. It is way up there too. Man. I have been messing around from time to time to try and get a different key to work, but the guitar loves the fact that the whole song is basically Gmaj7, C9, B9, except the intro that is.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">It is a really good idea to get really good equipment.</div>

Comment

Van Halen-David Lee Roth
            Sly & the Family Stone
            Earth, Wind & fire
            early Who- check out "Happy Jack"
            <div class="signaturecontainer">great googley moogley- Frank Zappa<br><br><br><br>Missing the CHEESE And Marko<br><br>Hit it!<br><br>__________if you can't spot the crazy one on the bus, it's probably you..............Cdawg________<br><br><br><br><br> <br><br><br>Good Sellers/Marko46,lossforgain x2</div>

Comment

Van Halen-David Lee Roth
              Sly & the Family Stone
              Earth, Wind & fire
              early Who- check out "Happy Jack"

I love that early Who album. Boris the spider! Or, one I really haven't heard people cover, "Whiskey Man." That is a very cool tune that I have worked out. Love the who in general. And, Earth Wind and Fire, great stuff.

Comment

I love that early Who album. Boris the spider! Or, one I really haven't heard people cover, "Whiskey Man." That is a very cool tune that I have worked out. Love the who in general. And, Earth Wind and Fire, great stuff.

Yes, very few know about Boris
                more on the list
                Heatwave,Yes,Three Dog Night,The Mavricks,UB40-The early years when they did their stuff,
                <div class="signaturecontainer">great googley moogley- Frank Zappa<br><br><br><br>Missing the CHEESE And Marko<br><br>Hit it!<br><br>__________if you can't spot the crazy one on the bus, it's probably you..............Cdawg________<br><br><br><br><br> <br><br><br>Good Sellers/Marko46,lossforgain x2</div>

Comment

For me the Mamas and the Papas will always be my all time favourite for vocal harmonies

Comment

AIC
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
                    <div class="bbcode_quote">
                    <div class="quote_container">
                    <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Guitar Jam is an uncomfortable place. Full of satan worship and vulgarity.<br />

</div>
                    </div>
                    </div> </div>

Comment

Yes, very few know about Boris
                      more on the list
                      Heatwave,Yes,Three Dog Night,The Mavricks,UB40-The early years when they did their stuff,

We play Boris the Spider. Fun tune, that we usually pull out for Halloween, but this year we had an entirely different scenario going on that it wouldn't fit into. But yeah that's definitely a fun tune to play.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">Fusion Tycoon<br />
                      <br />
                      <a href="http://www.myspace.com/mercurycatfish" target="_blank">Mercury Catfish Myspace</a> <br />
                      <br />
                      <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=339082" target="_blank">Mercury Catfish</a></div>

Comment

The Association - nerdy dudes, awesome vocals.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tVhCbOXP30

I have to disagree. As much as I liked them back in the day, they didn't even do their vocals in tune in the studio, let alone live.
                        "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                        -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                        -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                        -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                        -- Theodore White

Comment

No one?

Really?

Well then, let me be the first to mention the Doobie Brothers. I was amazed at how good their vocals were live.
                          "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                          -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                          -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                          -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                          -- Theodore White

Comment

I have to disagree. As much as I liked them back in the day, they didn't even do their vocals in tune in the studio, let alone live.

Interesting. Do you have a cool story to tell? Did you work in a studio?

The arrangements are very cool. I guess then I would have to give credit to the engineer. Maybe we should start a "best Engineer" thread.

Comment

No one?

Really?

Well then, let me be the first to mention the Doobie Brothers. I was amazed at how good their vocals were live.

I saw the Minute by Minute tour. (some don't like that era, but I think they were great.) I like Micheal McDonald (love steely dan too). Certainly, the Johnston era was the chit. He is a great writer. But I am not a snob about it. I think that he Doobs worked and changed with the times in a pretty cool way. Tyrone Porter was a beast - big dude, nice vocals. They were a solid band.

Comment

Working...
                              X