I need more tips on insight on head voice/chest voice/mixed register

Swingfinger

• Members

I have tried some exercises but I am still not exactly sure what they mean by bridging the registers. Most of the songs I really want to learn use what sounds to me like falsetto... my falsetto voice sounds so weak and horrible.

I'll give you an example of two songs I am talking about

[YOUTUBE]Rf5kG8drKaM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]KdebhHO_sSw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

First song: falsetto on the 3 top notes (not the others) of the verse.

This is not blended so good, you can hear the difference (break) clearly, and I think it's done on purpose. Later in the Bridge sometimes he blends better and uses falsetto more, but sometimes he let the break be audible.

To practice this: Sing this song very soft.

The other song has falsetto in the upper harmonies. It's also sung very soft. Actually it's much easier to blend registers on songs like this, than for example this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaZmY52gHM[/YOUTUBE]

Because of the pressure on the cords it is very easy to flip into falsetto if you don't have full control. I can't hear where he shifts from headvoice to falsetto here, and I've always though he is entirely in headvoice. But I've heard so many heavy metal vocal coaches insist he is in (very) reinforced falsetto, so I bow under. Besides, I found that's a fine way to sing those songs too, aside from my break being lot more audible.

• Members

Because of the pressure on the cords it is very easy to flip into falsetto if you don't have full control. I can't hear where he shifts from headvoice to falsetto here, and I've always though he is entirely in headvoice. But I've heard so many heavy metal vocal coaches insist he is in (very) reinforced falsetto, so I bow under. Besides, I found that's a fine way to sing those songs too, aside from my break being lot more audible.

Thanks for taking the time to watch the videos and responding!

for some reason I can't see the video you linked

I made a small clip of me trying to sing the verse to show what I'm talking about. In the first line I try to sing it without falsetto and the second I use falsetto.

[YOUTUBE]Ra329i_7TXc[/YOUTUBE]

Also the main song I am having trouble with is this one(only video I could find):

[YOUTUBE]8plvdCmfALw[/YOUTUBE]

I am having real problems making the chorus sound good

• Members
Thanks for taking the time to watch the videos and responding!

for some reason I can't see the video you linked

I made a small clip of me trying to sing the verse to show what I'm talking about. In the first line I try to sing it without falsetto and the second I use falsetto.

Also the main song I am having trouble with is this one(only video I could find):

I am having real problems making the chorus sound good

I think the clip you made was quite nice, you sing on pitch, only thing is you sing a bit staccato, so you could try to hold the notes a bit longer. But this is a style I'm not into, so I have very little to add when it comes to stylistic correctness....

• Members

I don't hear a problem. Your vocal quality is soft and somewhat breathy, (this does waste air) and moves nicely between the light "heady" voice and the falsetto. It fits the style and the songs very well. Unless you wish to develop a more powerful voice with more high harmonics your falsetto fits nicely. If you sing some songs with a more solid chest and head voice sound I can understand your being dissatisfied with your falsetto. The contrast would be too great. In that case a good teacher or recorded course should help you strengthen it.

Check out the thread: "Tendency to tense/close off the throat. Some great posts there concerning moving from the chest to head to falsetto. I posted an exercise there that should help.

I like your songs a lot.

Al

• Members

I don't hear a problem. Your vocal quality is soft and somewhat breathy, (this does waste air) and moves nicely between the light "heady" voice and the falsetto. It fits the style and the songs very well. Unless you wish to develop a more powerful voice with more high harmonics your falsetto fits nicely. If you sing some songs with a more solid chest and head voice sound I can understand your being dissatisfied with your falsetto. The contrast would be too great. In that case a good teacher or recorded course should help you strengthen it.

Check out the thread: "Tendency to tense/close off the throat. Some great posts there concerning moving from the chest to head to falsetto. I posted an exercise there that should help.

I like your songs a lot.

Al

I want to develop some flexibility in style, so I can sing in a soft breathy voice but also I would like to be able to have some power and range. I'll check out that thread now, thanks :wave:

• Members

Ya I tend to run out of air near the end of the phrases... I probably need to do some deep diaphragm breathing exercises or something. Thanks for listening
:thu:

You're running out of air because you're whispering while you sing; therefore, you're expending much more air than you should be. Furthermore, you are also tiring out your voice more quickly and preventing yourself from having proper control.

You can sing quietly without whispering.

:thu:

Archived