What should I do?

EvilSoup

• Members

I'm currently unhappy with my voice and I don't quite know how to proceed.

Should I find a teacher? If so what kind/method?

Also I probably won't be able to go to a teacher for a while, so I kind of want something to do in the meantime.

I've probably posted this a few times in the effects forum already, but I just wanted to post here since I can. :wave:

http://www.myspace.com/throughtheforests - Check out look up

Coldplay cover of Help is Just Around The Corner.

Thanks. :phil:

• Members

Just keep recording and listening back to the sound you're making. Like dialing in a good guitar tone, you just need to keep adjusting until you get something you like. But as vocalists we need to record out sound to hear what it sounds like when it's not resonating in our heads... at least you can do that to start.

• Members

I'll second that advice. Record yourself constantly. This will help you:

1. Get used to the actual sound of your voice (this was very difficult for me); but it leads--ultimately--to confidence, perhaps the single most important possession of singers!

2. Work on style--try out different sounds, learn the effect of different mouth formations, experiment with different degrees of breathiness, etc.

Don't cheap out. Get a decent recorder (I have the Edirol R09 and I love it; others like Zoom) or a decent computer recording set-up. Since one of the goals is building confidence, you don't want to use a cheap recorder that's going to make you sound worse than you actually are. Go into debt, if necessary.

Actually, it's fun--we're all in debt. If things get bad someone will bail us out, no?

Archived