Singer vs. Entertainer

mstreck

• Members

I've seen a lot of "party band" singers dance around while singing bad notes - yet the audience didn't seem to care that they were off pitch. Which is more important to you when you're fronting a band - hitting the "proper" notes or moving around and engaging the crowd?

• Members

Both are equally important. I don't think a performance has to be flawless, pitch-wise from any instrument. But for the most part, don't sacrifice one for the other in either case.
:thu:

I dont think i can agree ,, if your vocals are pitchy or weak. The band is weak. You cant really judge a band by the reaction of the crowd in my opinion. If the vocals are weak ,, they are having a good time in spite of the bands vocals.

• Members

they are having a good time in spite of the bands vocals.

That's my point. People ARE having a good time. Everyone is dancing so the bad notes don't seem to matter -- most of these bands have a large draw and consistently play high dollar gigs in at least three different states.

• Members

That's my point. People ARE having a good time. Everyone is dancing so the bad notes don't seem to matter -- most of these bands have a large draw and consistently play high dollar gigs in at least three different states.

I dont know of very many bands that consistently get high dollar gigs with weak vocals.

• Members

I'm not saying that their vocals are weak - but I've seen a LOT of bands play at Seacrets in OC and many singers consistently go off key as they dance and move around the stage to pump up the audience.

I'll try to find some videos on YouTube to illustrate my point.

• Members

The tough one is keeping your vocals sounding good when you're the only guitarist as well, while some drunk on the side of the stage is trying to shout his life story in your ear.

:lol:

On a serious note, I try to entertain the audience by being engaging, and I'll move around on stage and all that other jazz. However, vocals come first. I think the best way to get an audience charged up is with great sounding music. The other stuff is just window-dressing.

• Members

JaciFB makes a good point. Both are important. When we are listening to recordings we are much more concentrated on pitch and quality, and they must be right on. What we see doesn't add much to the situation When we're at a live performance there's so much more to divide our attention: the crowd, conversation, what the band looks and moves like, etc. Our sight is our strongest sense, not our hearing. The show is extremely important, but we don't have to sacrifice good singing for that. The great ones can do both. Weak vocals have no place in a good band, but performance atmospheres give more leeway to a few mistakes and missed notes.

• Members

I'm not saying that their vocals are weak - but I've seen a LOT of bands play at Seacrets in OC and many singers consistently go off key as they dance and move around the stage to pump up the audience.

I'll try to find some videos on YouTube to illustrate my point.

If the vocals are going off pitch ,, the band is not very good. The singer needs to stop dancing and start singing.

• Members

I dont think i can agree ,, if your vocals are pitchy or weak. The band is weak. You cant really judge a band by the reaction of the crowd in my opinion. If the vocals are weak ,, they are having a good time in spite of the bands vocals.

You just agreed. I'm not talking about weak vocals or weak anything. A flub here and there happens to even the pros.

Archived