Can I sing ever again?

O.G.T.V.

• Members

I'm actually recovering from my 2nd lung surgery. My 1st one was on September 23, 2006. It tooked me from there to... January 2008 to be able to sing full power, and good sounding. The thing is that the 1st surgery was on my right lung and this 2nd surgery was on the left one. In both they removed the lobe or the upper part of the lungs, but in this one they kinda clipped it!:facepalm:

But oh well....I was going to ask if it was possible I could ever sing again. I know I still have the voice, but I still can't sing full power and not my range, not even loud since my surgery was so recent. But what odds do you give me? Please let me know. Singing it's very important to me, and even if I also play guitar, it doesn't feel the same to me. Let me know.

• Members

i think that you should ask your doctor not a bunch of random strangers on the internet.

if you want encouragement, then i can tell you that i have heard great stories about people recovering lost abilities by being persistent, but beyond that, i cannot say anything further about your problem, except that i am sorry you are going through this.

• Members

what was up with the lung? it just wanted out?

like full on open chest surgery? open heart type.... around 3-4 years

somepoeple have to learn to walk again after back surgery. after some time their running marathons. have no fear. salvage what you can. try devices and electronics for aids until your ready again.

• Members

Your vocal cords are in good shape, so you should be able so sing again. Since the air from the lungs activates the sound and supplies the volume, etc. you may have to depend more on a good mic to give you some of that. I suggest you find a teacher to guide you through this therapeutic period and show you how to breathe more efficiently with the lungs you have left. You haven't lost the ability to sing, just some of the energy that powers the voice. Your voice may be different than it was, but it can be very good if you work at it. Learn to breathe correctly.

Al

• Members

Your vocal cords are in good shape, so you should be able so sing again. Since the air from the lungs activates the sound and supplies the volume, etc. you may have to depend more on a good mic to give you some of that. I suggest you find a teacher to guide you through this therapeutic period and show you how to breathe more efficiently with the lungs you have left. You haven't lost the ability to sing, just some of the energy that powers the voice. Your voice may be different than it was, but it can be very good if you work at it. Learn to breathe correctly.

Al

Hello Al. Thank you for the support and tips on the subject. You're right, I feel kinda weaker, but at least I have the voice. I got a Shure Sm58, it had worked out nicely before. I hope it does the day I go back to singing. The thing that is puzzling me is the recovery time for singing again.

My 1st surgery was on SEPTEMBER 23, 2006 and on APRIL 21, 2007 I won 2nd place singing on a Talent Show. My voice wasn't that good at the time, but at least I could do it.

This time, I got surgery on June 10, 2008. How much time should I wait now? I feel like I need a little more than the previous time, but I still don't know. Any suggestion?

Archived