Favorite Live Mic

flemtone

• Members

OK, since we now have a Singer's Forum (yay!), what is the consensus? Is there a mic that works best for your voice in a live setting, do you treat it special, does it ride with the rest of the band's mics, etc?

I've found that my timbre sounds best thru a Shure Beta 57, while our former lead singer went thru a Beyer-Dynamic and the two guitarists sing thru Shure SM58s.

I love the '57, as it has a really clear and almost transparent quality. It doesn't color the sound like a '58 does, imho.

What about you? What's your preferred mic for stage work?

• Members

Beta 58 for me. I haven't really don't much of a side-by-side comparison with the exception of an SM58 vs a Beta 58 and a Beta 87 vs a Beta 58. I liked the Beta 58 best in those cases. Now, it's the mic I have and have had for years, so that's what I use and love. It hasn't let me down and it sounds good, so why mess with that?

• Members

I bought a Sennheiser 835 about 2 years ago and love it. But I played a gig awhile back where the soundman provided me some sort of AKG condensor (C5?) and it was the cat's pajamas. I usually like to use my own mic, but I knew the sound guy and he persuaded me to try it out. I didn't even have any feedback problems when I went to my harmonica on the same mic. This is usually a problem for me, especially w/condensors. Of course, it was an outdoor show so that probably helped a little. So short answer, Sennheiser 835. Long answer, I'm not sure anymore.

• Members

I like the beta series, and currently use a Beta 57.

Sennheiser E835 is a GREAT mic for the $$$....but remember....shure sm58 sells for $119, and has a dealer cost of nearly $100, but the E835, which usually sells at $100, has a dealer cost of $50 :-):cop:

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I still have my old Beta58 (wireless) but changed it with Beta87a (wireless) few years ago.I find both of them very comfortable to sing with but the 87a is a newer version so it works wiht AA batteries while my 58 was on 9V.I work in a cover band and our contracts are long - 1-2 moths each.So AA batteries hold for at least 3-4 days of 5-6 set of 45 min while 9V can olny hold up for not more than a day (5-6 sets)

• Members

I switched from the Shure mics to the Sennheizer 835 a few years back and noticed an increase in clarity. Last year I went to the Sennheizer 945. That was another step closer to clarity. It costs a little more, but it's noticeable. You have to have good monitors and sound system to really hear the difference. If your monitors or main system aren't super-clear, you may not be able to tell much difference. The 945 has a nice high-end sheen to it and a clear low-end and mid.

My mic cuts through with greater clarity than the other band members' mics. They're using Shure betas. I'm happy with the 945, but would trade it in a heartbeat for a Neumann KMS 104 or 105.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have all the mics mentioned plus a butt load more. I was using the Beta 57 for about a year before I switched to using hand held condensers. I bought an EV PL84 on sale and liked it so much I bought 4 more including one with a switch fro the drummer. The difference is vocal clarity is like day and night. The mic has a 50~20Khz frequency response compared to the Shure which rolls off around 12~13K You don't need all that additional response live of course. Most PA's wont even reproduce it bit it makes a big difference when it comes to getting the vocals in front of cymbals and snare.

The other thing is the mic has great pop filters and practically no handling noise. I also compared it to my singers Beta 87A and it actually does a better job at a much lower price. I think the mics sold for $250 and they unloaded them on sale before discontinuing them. I grabbed mine for around $50 and within a week you couldn't find them any more. lucked out big time. They are really well made too. Heavy and solid. Best match I've been able to find for my voice in 50 years of searching.

The Beta 58 I was using was OK. It had a distinct ping tone which I didn't like. Its got a little more power then an SM58 but I think the SM has a better balance. I couldn't get any decent recording tones from it but it worked well at loud volumes live. Something there that works with a PA better, probably its horns with the mics frequency bump in the 5~6Khz range I suppose. I have a wide range voice and have a lot of power at those frequencies so having that bump is the last thing I need. The EV works well on female vocalists too. Captures those highter tonal ranges. Might not be as good for someone with a deep voice but even there the bass response is strong. Might sound as good as a large diaphragm mic without all the feedback.

The latest mic I bought was an MXL ribbon mic. I've done several recording using it and it nails the Jim Morrison voice tones. They are tricky animals however. not something an amateur can pick up and just use. you need some good vocal techniques to get the best from them.

• Members

Sennheiser ME2 (wireless condenser headmic) always when I'm on the kit, sometimes when on guitar too.

Occasionally Sennheiser E935 when I'm on guitar and at a mic stand -- and if so, I'm usually at that point running the guitar in wireless mode.

-D44

• 1 month later...

Archived