Singing newbie here.

Verence

• Members

What kind of voice would this be considered? Head?

[YOUTUBE]727WESZ5RWo[/YOUTUBE]

Any tips on singing like this? I find it hard, since my voice is usually of the low, chest type.

I love that this forum now exists. I plan on coming here a lot. I need a LOT of work. :p

• Members

That doesn't sound like head voice at all to me. :idk:

Truth be told, it isn't all that high pitched of a song, either. The highest note hit seems to be a D above middle C, and why he seems to be struggling with it (note the facial contortions on that note) is a bit of a mystery, considering he seems to have a naturally higher pitched speaking voice. :idk:

That said, I am a natural bass who always wanted to sing rock and metal since I was a kid. While it does take some training and effort, it can be done.

Here's an informal vid I posted on another forum a few days ago, it should give you a little sense of what I sound like.

[YOUTUBE]Wy3Wi9hYwAo[/YOUTUBE]

I never got into the "high-screamer" range, but I do use a blend of head and chest on a regular basis.

Interestingly enough, my "comfortable" speaking voice over time changed in pitch with my increased range.

*puts on asbestos clothes to ward off the incoming flames*

• Members

As I said, I'm a noob. :p

I guess what I'm going for is not neccesarily the pitch, but the sound of his voice.

I mean, I can hit the same notes, but it sounds kind of breathy and soft. When he sings it the tone is sort of more... cutting.

I have no singing vocabulary to work with, so it's probably hard to understand what I'm saying. :p

• Members

Colin Meloy does have a very beautiful, unique voice. I love the Decemberists, and I have often tried to imitate his voice with varying degress of success.

That said, one of the big clues that you can see in this video is the way he moves his mouth and draws back as he sings. I don't really know how to describe it, but the corners of his mouth kind of draw back as he sings. I think those are the contortions that SevenString is describing. However, I find imitating that to be key to imitating his voice. I doubt that helps, but you just have to do it haha...

• Members

What kind of voice would this be considered? Head?

You can call it natural voice, neutral or full voice. This is the most common way for the vocal cords to vibrate: They vibrate at their full length and it's the tension that regulates the pitch. Headvoice vs chestvoice is terms to describe where the sound resonates. I did a test, and for me, the resonance travels from high chestvoice to low headvoice.

I bet you are having trouble reproducing his sound, but I bet you sing with the same function as he does. His sound is very bright. It can be thaught to alter the sound by raising the laryx, experimenting with different settings of your soft palate, tounge and much more.

My question is why would you sing like this? I bet your voice being deeper have more color to it in this range...

• Members

Why? 'Cause.... I want to be able to sound like that. :idk:

Maybe not all of the time, but I'd like to have the ability to switch between a low-mellow voice and a middle-bright voice.

I'll try experimenting with the things you mentioned, thanks!

Singing is a lot more complicated than I ever thought possible. It seems like there are hundreds of variables to control at any given moment. :p

Archived