Was Steve Perry All That and a Pack of Ho-Ho's?

Jimmy James

• Members

Definitely Yes!

What brought up the question?

Who do you think are the best male singers?

The OP may or may not answer, but I'll throw in three that are amongst my current favorites:

Russell Allen of Symphony-X

Jorn Jande of Jorn, ARK, Masterplan, etc.

Roy Khan of Kamelot

But I also listen to stuff like Aretha Franklin, Tony Bennett, Sam Cooke, etc.

• Members

Love him. Some people make fun of Journey and call it bubble gum, but the Infinity and Evolution albums were rocking to me.

He's definitely up there as one of rocks great pure vocalists. I'm not saying he's Ann Wilson or Freddie Mercury, but he's up there, lol - (was going to include my all time fave Robert Plant but he had the raw gritty bluesy thing rather than the pure clarity of Perry, Wilson and Mercury)

• Members

Love him. Some people make fun of Journey and call it bubble gum, but the Infinity and Evolution albums were rocking to me.

He's definitely up there as one of rocks great pure vocalists. I'm not saying he's Ann Wilson or Freddie Mercury, but he's up there, lol - (was going to include my all time fave Robert Plant but he had the raw gritty bluesy thing rather than the pure clarity of Perry, Wilson and Mercury)

I'll step out on a limb here and say Perry was better than Freddie Mercury.

Freddie didn't pull off half the stuff live that he did on the records.

Perry did it all live, and then some.

• Members

I don't know man, bluesy?

Ray Charles had piano talent AND his voice was/is great IMO. You could feel his pain or joy in each song he did.

How Steve Perry hit those high notes and his tonal quality, the airyness to his voice is unmatchable...

I dig Don Henley as well.

Peter Gabriel is probably my all time favorite.

Mercury had a great voice as well but it was different to me

than a traditional singer. His lower range was weaker than the mentioned above. Great Rock voice, no doubt.

• Members

Ooo...I don't know about that. I was watching Queen's performance at Live Aid a few months back and Mercury was a beast in serious command of his vocal chops.

But Journey has always been one of my favs and Perry was a hell of a vocalist. I know he can't hit all the same notes anymore, but I wish he'd put out some new tunes.

• Members

I also really enjoyed the vocal combination of Trevor Rabin and Jon Anderson on Yes's 902150, particularly on the tune Changes.

Rabin has a great "theatrical" rock voice, and the combination and contrast with Anderson's more "ethereal":o tones is just chilling at times.

A lot of hardcore Yes fans seem to hate the Rabin years, but I thought the guy was a home run for the band. Fabulous singer, guitarist, songwriter, arranger, and producer all in one package, and pretty much equally great at all the things he did.

• Members

I have a DVD around the Escape era. He sings it like the recording and doesn’t even seem to rely on foldbacks etc. He looks like he kind of leans his head sideways to hear his voice on the high parts.

Much awesomness.

Archived