How and when to use a pop filter?

Aerys

• Members

I got one the other week because I always see them around in studio videos, but how are you supposed to use one?

I put it up to the mic, but it keeps banging into it when I'm rocking the mic stand when recording. Is this supposed to happen? Or did I get the wrong kind? Mine is just like one of those embroidery frames.

• Members

It should be closer to your face than the mic... not touching.

Part of it's function is to disperse the air on the hard "P" and "T" sounds, but the best reason to use one is to keep the moisture from your breath and "enthusiastic singing" from getting the inside of a condenser mic wet.

Those things are very sensitive, but can also be ruined very easily, compared to a bulletproof cardiod mic like an SM57.

• Members

Also, you spoke of "rocking the mic stand." The recording studio is no place to even touch the mic stand. Condenser mics are very very sensitive to such vibrations and that translates to a lot of problems for the producer or engineer. If you have to "rock a mic stand" while you are recording, have a separate stand in the booth that you can hold on to. Just remember to stay approximately the same distance from the pop filter unless you are purposely working the mic because of loud or high or soft notes.

Al Koehn

• Members

I got one the other week because I always see them around in studio videos, but how are you supposed to use one?

I put it up to the mic, but it keeps banging into it when I'm rocking the mic stand when recording. Is this supposed to happen? Or did I get the wrong kind? Mine is just like one of those embroidery frames.

It sounds like you're too close to the Mic.

Put the filter at least 3-5 inches (from the mic), and stop moving your head around when you sing:thu:

Are you using headphones? The gain may be too low as well-which would explain a lot.

• Members

Tell me you're kidding about "rocking the mic stand". :eek:

If you're recording with some sort of dynamic mic, like a Shure SM58, maybe you can get away with that under certain conditions, but a good condenser mic is VERY unforgiving in terms of picking up vibrations or ANY extra noise.

When it's time for a vocal take, I don't touch ANYTHING.

Here's a potentially helpful suggestion. If you find that you NEED to be grabbing a mic stand or something to get into your performance, get a second stand (a QUIET one with no rattling parts) to use as a prop. Set up in a way that you can sing toward the condenser mic, but still "rock out" with the prop stand as needed.

• Members

As for what they are actually for, have to disagree with the poster that said they for protecting the mic. The real purpose is that when you make "P" or "B" sounds, you blow out a quick blast of air. We don't normally hear this when people are talking or singing in a room, as it gets dispersed fairly quickly. But when talking or singing straight into a mic, you get the whole blast down on tape, and it can really screw up a vocal recording. Unlike sibiliants, which can be dealt with by a de-esser, or just clever use of basic eqs and compressors, there's no real way of getting rid of the plosive air blasts once they're down on tape (or hard drive or whatever).

Archived