Any singers had their tonsils removed after 30?

baimun

• Members

I never had my tonsils removed as a child (even though I got tonsilitis a few times in college... they always gave me an antibiotic instead of surgery).

Now that I'm older, my tonsils periodically make my throat tight, and my snoring at night is off the charts.

If I don't get them taken care of, my wife may want a separate bedroom (because of the snoring) or worse yet, the sleep apnea from the restricted breathing could cause serious health issues.

My biggest fear is losing my singing range though. :cry:

Anyone had any experience with this?

• Members

Mrs. P had hers removed after 30. She's still able to sing as well as she did before, though she has never really been anything other than an occasional singer.

I will say this though, it was the most pain I've ever seen her in. She literally couldn't bear to eat or drink for 3 or 4 days, and wasn't completely pain free for several weeks.

• Members

Sounds like a plan for me.

Stop snoring, time off work, pain ad possible weight loss.

Yahoo!!!!

Why didn't I think of this on my own?

They gave her some really, really good pain medication in the form of a nasal spray too.

Not that I tried any of it. :o

• Members

I never had my tonsils removed as a child (even though I got tonsilitis a few times in college... they always gave me an antibiotic instead of surgery).

Now that I'm older, my tonsils periodically make my throat tight, and my snoring at night is off the charts.

If I don't get them taken care of, my wife may want a separate bedroom (because of the snoring) or worse yet, the sleep apnea from the restricted breathing could cause serious health issues.

My biggest fear is losing my singing range though.
:cry:

Anyone had any experience with this?

you have allergies! try some claritin. maybe a decongestant as well.

i'll bet you get sick at the start and end of every season, it lasts for weeks and you get soar throats followed by ear aches. if not, ignore what i said and get you tonsils removed.

• Members

you have allergies! try some claritin. maybe a decongestant as well.

i'll bet you get sick at the start and end of every season, it lasts for weeks and you get soar throats followed by ear aches. if not, ignore what i said and get you tonsils removed.

I may have developed alergies over the years... and I'm willing to give that approach a try.

It's funny that I have a relatively soft speaking voice, but a singing voice that's loud and projects (it's difficult to half-blow a trumpet, you just have to let it go :) )...

... but unfortunately, to my wife's dismay, my snoring "voice" is more akin to my singing voice than my speaking one. :(

• Members

When your tonsils are enflamed this definitely irritates the vocal cords. Many doctors don't like to remove tonsils from adults, but get a few opinions. Unless there are some obvious reason not to, you should consider having them removed because of your singing. (The same is true for fixing a deviated septum.) I've had many students who have had those surgeries and they have always benefited vocally. If you do have the surgery, especially for a deviated septum, a few meets with a good vocal teacher would be advisable. There is some re-training which is usually needed. Nothing scary or major, though. (I hope you like ice cream.)

Al Koehn

• Members

Like Mr.P said. I had mine out a couple of years ago, it was the most pain I had ever felt. Ice cream was the most awful thing you could have tried on me. It was too cold and it would stick on the wounds as it went down and just cause me more pain.

I will say that since I have had them out, I have really dropped down on my sicknesses. I very rarely get sick anymore and when I do it is usually pretty short. It also alleviated a few other symptoms that I was having. The surgery worked, it was just really painful for a few days afterwards.

Good luck and make sure to get good drugs really quickly. I was in pain the moment I woke up from the anesthesia, and I didn't get any drugs until after we went to the pharmacy, and that was just way too long to wait in that much pain.

• Members

Thanks Al and P.... It definitely eases my mind knowing that there are more positives than negatives if they have to be removed.

It makes sense if they're becoming more inflamed because I had gone 10 years without ever taking a sick day, but in the past few years I've had to take several because of really bad cold/flu/congestion.

I'll talk to the doctor about options as well as look for a vocal coach around Notre Dame that might be able to consult for recovery exercises.

Archived