How To Edit A Wav File In Sonar?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Edit A Wav File In Sonar?

Hi everyone,

Due to the midi function constantly crashing in my version of Adobe Audition 3.0, I've decided to make a switch to Sonar (bummer, as I love the Adobe interface).

Having said that, I have a guitar track that I need to cut out a few bars of, and I cannot find a way to simply edit the wav file in Sonar X1!

In Audition, it was super easy and I could simply add the edited file straight back into the track.

From what I've been able to do in Sonar, the track goes into a "loop creation mode" (pop out window) that has no select / cut / paste function.... while when I try to edit the track in the actual track window that contains all of the other tracks in the session, if I misjudge where I need to start or end an edit point, I cannot just extend the highlighted section that I want to cut out - I have to start all over again.

Am I missing something?

After about 6 months of on and off playing with Sonar (and reading the manual and watching a bunch of Youtube videos), I'm starting to have reservations about this software....

FWEIW, I recently tried using FL Studio into Audition via Rewire, but I also found out that I cannot add more than 1 file location for VST's in FL, which doesn't work for me, as I have then set up in different folder locations....

Any ideas or guidance would be appreciated!

www.stephensanderson.com

Sorry for the late post but I haven't visited here in awhile.

Editing is sonar is ultra easy. Not sure what version you have but they are all similar.

Open the recording and open wave view so you see your tracks.

You can expand these tracks with the + and - buttons at the bottom right corners.

Next lets say you want to copy a part of that track. Its allot like Microsoft word or even posting here.
    You first click on the entire track once so its highlighted. Then you clock on the number bar at the top and while holding the button down you drag the mouse for as many seconds along the time bar as you need.

When you let go of the mouse, only that part of the track will be left highlighted.

Now say you want to copy that part of the track down to a new open track. Highlight that track by clicking on it on the far left.
    next place your cursor where you need the track to align. Then with the track highlighted you can either right click and say copy, go to the edidt drop down at the top and say copy, then do it again and say paste and it will be pasted to the new track.

Other things you can do. Once that section of the track is highlighted, you can simply click on the highlighted portion and drag it wherever you want, slide it over and even delete.

You can even take entire tracks and move them from track to track. There is one option you need to know. There's a box that you can click on and have tracks either replace the old or merge with the old so you hear both.

The good thing about sonar is you can undo any changes and nothing is permanent until you hit save.

Now in your case it sounded like you wanted to bring a track in from another project. That is done through the file button. You clock File, then import. You have to knw the file name, where its located and its got to be the same sample rate i.e. 24/44.1 if that's what youre project is set up for.

When importing, you simply select and open track and clock OK and it shows up aligned to the beginning of the track. frim there you can drag it to where you need, cut and paste or whatever you want. Its actually ultra easy. I too used to use Adobe and in many ways Sonar is very similar.

The one thing you do have to do is make sure your wave view is set up properly. In sonar you can mix from the Wave view but your options are limited. You should open up Mixer view for mixing and use the wave view for editing tracks. The factory preset covers up most of the wave view when you open it. When you move the mouse to the edge of the screen between the beginning of the wave tracks the cursor changes so you can click and drag that window pane over to the left. What you want to do is minimize all that stuff showing on the left and get it out of the way so you're seeing mostly the wave form. I usually leave the Monitor, Solo, and Record buttons exposed because those can be handy.

Many of the menus are tweakable to make things easy to work with and if you save the project as a template, give it a new name and delete the tracks, that template will be ready to go for each new project. you can eve have your favorite plugins loaded in the mixer view and sliders where you normally want them so the next time you open it they will all be there.

You can even go into options, remove all the buttons you don't use much, add the ones you do, and even change the colors of anything you need.

Again, editing is super simple. Most of ot works just like you're editing a word document. Right and left clicks are similar and all of that.

Now things change a little when you get into the X versions of sonar. Some of the buttons have new positions within the Wave View mode.

For example, Say you edited up a track and added new parts to it or punched in and recorded over some areas. You can render all those separate parts together into a separate track by first highlighting them all, then selecting, Bounce to Track. In Sonar 8 and older versions you'd find that button under the Edit tab at the top. In the X versions thay added a new line of tab buttons above the wave view. You'd go there and click on the bounce to tracks.

There others too. In Older versions, you could bounce effects to a track by highlighting a track then selecting the process tab and select effects from there. then you could process that effect into the track permanently instead of running it in the console view. What this does is when you have a preset you know you want on that track you can reduce CPU overhead by rendering the effect to the track permanently. I do this many times using compressors or limiters that I know the tracks need them. This way I avoid crashing the program running too many plugs.

You can also highlight just the specific part of the track, again selecting the track and using the number line at the top and highlight the area you want to add the effect to.

In the X version, you have to highlight the track then right click on the track to find the Process audio effects tab.

It takes awhile to figure all these things out. As you do jot them down in a note book so you don't forget them.
    I've used Cakewalk products since the Cakewalk 7.0 days I've skipped a few versions of sonar but many of the things are exactly the same. you just have to dig till you find them all.

Comment

Working...
    X