No announcement yet.

Which DAW software are you using?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which DAW software are you using?

I used Cakewalk's P8 thru Sonar 8.5. Moved to Reaper for a while, then back to Sonar at the end of X3. Now on Sonar Platinum.
    I'm really liking the new update model Cakewalk is using.

IMO, the backend of Reaper is really hard to beat as far as flexibility goes, but Sonar's UI is miles ahead and continuing to get even better.

What are the favorite, must have features out there in these or others?
    Bob
    Guitars - Amps - Related Toyz - Reaper/Studio One/SONAR

"The shark swam out to his deepest waters and brooded in the old clean currents. He was very hungry that season"
    - from Fiat Voluntas Tua

I just moved to Sonar Platinum from Sonar 7. So far, so good. I like the subscription framework and was very happy with the ease of installation. Platinum has worked and played quite will with all my old files. Very pleased with the interface and the ability to customize.
    "The ONCE FESTIVAL happened because a community of artists took matters into their own hands. They extended their responsibilities beyond the limits of producing their art into the organization and promotion of their art before the public." - Gordon Mumma, 1967.

Comment

I like the new Sonar update framework as well, but I can't help but point out that it is closer to a payment plan than a subscription. You can pay the full fee up front, or in installments, and once paid you "own" the license/right to use in perpetuity. This is vastly different from a straight subscription.

The monthly updates are working quite well. We've seen some pretty good features, work-flow enhancements and a ton of fixes so far this, the first year of this new process.

The new Reaper version is pretty solid too. I spend a lot more time with Sonar so I haven't fully exercised Reaper 5 yet. What I've seen, I like.
      Bob

"The shark swam out to his deepest waters and brooded in the old clean currents. He was very hungry that season"
      - from Fiat Voluntas Tua

Comment

Update - I moved to Windows 10 on the machine with Sonar Platinum and the program never missed a beat. So far...all is well under Windows 10.
        "The ONCE FESTIVAL happened because a community of artists took matters into their own hands. They extended their responsibilities beyond the limits of producing their art into the organization and promotion of their art before the public." - Gordon Mumma, 1967.

Comment

I like 8.1 too much to move to 10. Sonar Platinum and everything is running great. It ain't broke.

When I get a new machine next year or the year after I'll look at 10. Heck, that will likely be the only choice.
          Bob

- from Fiat Voluntas Tua

Comment

Studio One 3 and REAPER 5 for me. I used Sonar, or more accurately Cakewalk products since Pro Audio 8/9, left to REAPER around the beginning of the 'X' series, came back during X3 through Sonar Platinum, then left again once Studio One 3 was released. Never really liked the Subscription model for Sonar, or the monthly updates, it is total suckage in my view. It's like we are all BETA testers, you never know from one month to the next whether something that worked last month will work this month, you get new bugs introduced EVERY month, I know you don't have to update every month, and that you can roll back (there's another story) that's not the point, I just don't like it. We had received our fair share of buggy, half baked 'features' during the initial year of the subscription model, CCC itself was certainly under baked from the start, with it's fair share of bugs, changing your user settings behind the scenes upon update etc, the start screen, what an abortion that was upon release, again buggy and half baked, and that's just the start. Yes there were some good features added during that year, but for me I just didn't like it, and found something far better in Studio One 3, so I just ditched Sonar. The whole Rapture Pro debacle (although not DAW specifically) also left a foul taste in my mouth for anything 'Cakewalk', it should never have been released in that condition in the first place, an absolute mess, and still not up to par today (MAC users anybody?) almost 12 months later. I just think Cakewalk have dropped the ball, and are using the roll back as a safety net allowing them to release buggy and half baked software, because well, you can always just roll back if it's buggy or you don't like it . . . it's an easy out for them. That and the feeling felt by a large number of users of being BETA testers, no thanks. The seeming direction being taken under the subscription model this year is very disappointing, first we got those hideous Style Dials last year, now we get LandR, and an 'add track button' of all things, and now they are pushing that analytic s crap, and come out with this 'early release' thing? It's all just smoke and mirrors as far as I can see, what's the difference? They release software, if they find a major bug they fix it and release and update, they do this already, now they want to release a special early edition, which is frozen, a week earlier, which if they find a major bug they will fix and do another release, so what exactly is the difference? whoopy doooo, releasing a week earlier. Why not just release the thing a week earlier without all this fanfare and sticky threads like it is something revolutionary and game changing, it's all just smoke and mirrors, making it look like something is going on . . . and still the users are BETA testers. I just shake my head and am thankful that I no longer use Sonar.

Studio One 3 is awesome, I don't miss anything from Sonar, and just love the features of Studio One 3, love the routing possibilities, the VCA faders, the new 'Mix Engine FX' is awesome, can't wait for them to release more plugins for it, the Arranger track is something I wouldn't want to be without as is the Scratch Pads, the flexibility with the plugin manager, the extended FX chains, the Multi Instruments (totally awesome) there is heaps of stuff. It's ROCK Solid, has not crashed once, literally not once since installing back in July (I think) It's just the whole package, it's polished, rock solid and professional, and to be honest everything and more I could wish for, haven't looked back since switching over from Sonar Platinum, in my view it makes Sonar look dated and tiered, and more than a little bit flaky.

Then there is REAPER, not the best to look at, but then the custom themes take care of that, but in my estimation it is probably the most powerful DAW there is, and certainly the most customizable. Just let down a little by it's interface, but if you stick it out and get use to it and learn how to use the power that is under the hood, awesome!! While Studio One is my Main DAW, I play around in REAPER every now and then. I like to support REAPER and therefore it's developers because I think it has the potential to lay waste to all before it if it would just sort out the GUI and user friendly issues, I don't really have an issue with them myself, I have been there from the beginning, but for a lot of new comers it seems to be a little daunting, and it is one of the most common criticisms leveled at REAPER
            Last edited by Cotton Eyed Joe; 03-12-2016, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Presonus Studio One 2.6
              ( 1st MOTGLHC )
              Click these :
              ( o )( o )

Originally posted by lawboy
              Brikus, that's some of the funniest stuff I have ever read. Kudos my brother. There will now be an honorary Trollie Award each year named in honor of you and that thread, called the Open G Piano Award.

Originally posted by soup in a Petra Nemcova VS Josie Maran thread :
              The only real winner in this thread is my weewee.

non-br00tz

Comment

Currently recording in Magix Samplitude Music Studio 2015.
                Does the job quite good, although nog always that stable... and some parts are really missing:
                - Vandal Amp is just the trial edition
                - No midi mapping possibilities for external midi controllers.
                Listen to my music on: http://users.telenet.be/bulevardi/

Comment

Reaper, for all the reasons stated above, plus it's cheap (I do pay for it) relatively lightweight, and does far more than I will probably ever need.
                  ---
                  Jim
                  Keys: Roland Jupiter-50, JX-8P; Alesis QS8.1; Korg DW-8000, Mini-Korg (original); Moog ConcertMate; Farfisa Compact Deluxe. And other assorted stuff.

Comment

UPDATE: New machine and Win10 Pro. I also jumped on a great deal for Studio One 3 Pro. I've been trying to use SO3 exclusively in order to get really familiar with it. A lot "missing" relative to SONAR Platinum, but some of that may be knowing how to accomplish the same thing.

Between SO3 and SONAR I haven't used Reaper much for the last few months.
                    Bob

- from Fiat Voluntas Tua

Comment

Working...
                    X