Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

XP to w7 - I need a new midi editor

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP to w7 - I need a new midi editor

Mostly I make vocal backing tracks for myself or friends, or scan in choral works, opera choruses etc. For years I've used Evolution Audio Pro - a rather creaky 16-bit program now 20 yrs old - but it's fast, easy to edit with, I know it backwards, and it does mostly everything I need. I also use Sekaiju and sometimes MuseScore. Can anyone suggest a W7 (64-bit) follow-on from my beloved Audio Pro? (The modern Evolution product is nothing like it - anyway I don't need audio mixing). Doesn't have to be freeware, but I'm not looking at $00s. I know I can use Virtual-XP for old 16-bit apps, but perhaps this is the time for me to go 21st-century!

I found all my old audio programs dating back to win 95 98 and XP all worked on win 7 32 bit.
    I didn't move to 64 bit because I knew unless they were 64 bit compatible, I wouldn't be able to run most of them in the 64 bit environment.

Anything you do get is going to be radically advanced and you're going to have to endure a big learning curve.
    If you stick with Evolution Audio its only around $10 (whatever 10lbs equals) http://www.audio-evolution.com/index...2c4743faa499ae

Most DAW programs today will have both audio and Midi. I cant think of many that might be midi only. You'll get the audio portion whether you want it or not, but that doesn't mean you have to use it. You can just stick with the midi portion of the program. I would think having the audio portion for running samples would be very useful for you. Plus you can render the midi files a wave file and actually mix and master the audio with the plugin package.

I'm not sure what your old program did over newer ones. If you're doing mostly midi stuff the two that are best for musical scoring are Sibelius and Finale. They are likely the more complex but anything you choose to run 64 bit is going to be. The good part is most programs allow you to run as much or little of the program as you need. You can just use the midi portion only and likely optimize your menus and favorites to your work flow.

In any case, since you went 64 bit, your options are going to be much more limited. Most of your simple/free programs are going to be 32 bit There's no reason to have a 64 bit machine unless you did intend to run more advanced programs that will utilize the extra memory 64 bit employs.
    Luckily the 32 bit compatibility mode does work in win 7 and you should be able to run even your older programs.

Here's the two best composing programs.

Sibelius http://www.sibelius.com/home/index_flash.html

Finale http://www.finalemusic.com/

Comment

Many thanks for this useful and detailed advice. I didn't know the difference between 64- and 32-bit W7, in regard to earlier programs. We recently got a new machine with 64-bit W7 already in it, but when I upgrade the two machines I actually use for music editing I'll make sure to use 32-bit versions. I had a quick look at Evolution Audio, but it didn't seem to like midi tracks with tempo changes, and obviously with backing tracks there are a lot of these.

What I mostly use is piano-roll editing - I tried someone else's Sibelius, but didn't get on with it. That leaves Finale, and I guess an earlier version will do for what I need. As you say, it's just another steep learning curve!

Very grateful!

Comment

The first midi program I bought was Midisoft. It had piano roll writing/editing and was very simple to run.
        It only had two audio tracks but I really didn't use those. It is super simple to use, and even though it was originally written fro windows 3.1 it has worked on every box up to win 7 32 bit. However it will not run in a 64 bit environment because 64bits requires new drivers and since the company went out of business no ones around to write new drivers.

It may run with 32 bit compatibility mode, but that causes allot of complications. My buddy bought a Firebox interface that only had 32 bit drivers. You can install the drivers and run the 32 bit mode driver and the thing functions, but once you close the program and run something in a 64bit environment, the driver gets buried and lose. You open the program again and it cant find the driver. When it comes to hardware, you cant be jumping back and forth between environments like that or weird things start to happen.

This is why, most including myself say, if you're going 64 bit be prepared to dump all your old 32bit software. You may have some success getting it to run in 32 bit compatibility, but its got be driving 64 hardware. 32bit hardware drivers flake out or don't function at all.

Comment

I've converted my xp machines to W7-32 - and my last-century midi software continues to work, If I do eventually need to move to 64-bit, I've found that Sekaiju is a good app for the finicky piano-roll edits that I do a lot of. It's useless for entering new lyrics, though - I mostly use Melody Assistant for that (which apparently also runs on 64-bit) - this will also do midi-to-mp3 conversions. If I need to make paper scores I find that MuseScore is neat and flexible (but annoyingly won't import lyrics from midi files!). Those would be my (very-low-cost) tips for anyone else in my situation.

Comment

Working...
          X