Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer question xp to win 7 transfer of files and other stuff

My win xp has seen its better days. I just got a win 7 computer now. How do I take what I have on win xp and put it on win 7. Like to transfer my bookmarks, amps, VST's , pictures, well everything actually. I don't have the computer knowlege to do this, so a simple explaination if possible is best. Thanks.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a look at the American Indian" — Henry Ford

Burn your data on a DVD. Move the data to the new machine by copying the data onto the new computer's hard drive. If the new computer does not have a DVD drive (and some actually do not), then, netwsork the two machines and share the data you want to move and copy it that way. You might need the help of a computer savvy friend to do that.

The secret of man's creative power is imagination.

Comment

You can simply copy all your data in a USB drive or you can just save all the required data from your C drive to the other drives and when you are updating your system, make sure that you only format C drive where you are installing Win 7, do not format other drives otherwise you will lose all the data from each formatted drive. I hope this suggestion will be helpful to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrod66 View Post
        You can simply copy all your data in a USB drive or you can just save all the required data from your C drive to the other drives and when you are updating your system, make sure that you only format C drive where you are installing Win 7, do not format other drives otherwise you will lose all the data from each formatted drive. I hope this suggestion will be helpful to you.
        Thanks Jarrod
        "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a look at the American Indian" — Henry Ford

Comment

Take the drive from your old computer and plug it into your new computer and just copy the files over.
          If this is a laptop, you can get an external drive case and plug it into a USB port. If its a desktop then you
          can just plug it into an drive cable.

If your XP drive was an older IDE drive you can even get an IDE to SATA adaptor to plug it in.
          You may have to set the jumpers to a slave if its not recognized, but otherwise you should be fine.
          I'd likely scan it for viruses after installing it as a second drive just to be safe.

Once you pull all your files over you can stick it back in your old computer.
          If the old computer is toast, you could leave it in your computer and just format it as a backup.
          Finding stuff like Favorites takes a bit of drilling down in the C drives files. I've done it successfully many times.

If you're running a DAW, you can usually copy most of your VST sound effects .dll files. Many will work without having to
          install the effects again. Others do require a fresh install, especially the ones you paid for and have license's.

There are other things like Effects settings and presets you can usually copy over too, but you have to know where they are saved
          on the old drive and know where they are saved in the new OS.

Comment

Why not you simply just format your hard but first copy all of your data at some of the USB drive. i did have face such sort of problem but at the end all of it did really worked. And i backed up my web application development data into a USB.

affordable website design
            Last edited by Wilson119; 05-09-2014, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X